free hit
counters
pipe removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

pipe removal

i need to remove the pipe shown in the cooling diagram from the front of my engine. i have tried to get to it from the top, can i get to it from the bottom of the car? i need to remove it as it has fouled on the cam sprocket and needs replacing. also can i use a reinforced samco pipe instead of the original if i get one made for me? i was also thinking of using a stainless large p clamp to hold it away from the sprocket in future as i have been told this is a common problem.

pipe-1.jpg

frontpipe.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bigsi,

You can access it from the bottom but it is tight. If you have access to a lift it will be much easier to stand as opposed to being on your back. For my car I went to a local parts store and matched up the hose with another that actually worked better. The Gates part is #21157.

Good luck,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Top or bottom, but prob better from bottom as has been said, it's an awkward one to get at I can assure you. Ambrose was talking about a Samco mod for this pipe, as it is very close to the cam pullys as you seam to has discovered. It sounds like a good idea to me

if you haven't already seen it, worth a read Ambrose Silicon hose replacments

Daz

Edited by dazmans3

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

thanks daz, the guy who did my exhaust can make me a samco pipe as he has the tools at his workshop including a heated samco pipe shaper, i have to go back shortly as i have one of the shops computers here for repair

Hi Si,

I got mine off from the top, it was a bitch of a thing to do and I needed to lever the pipe off with a broad screwdriver.

From the responses to the Samco thread this is a very common (probably the default) position for this hose to get into. Mine had 2 big ties attempting to hold it back with no success.

Samco are ignoring my emails so some progress in this area is very welcome. It would appear that there are at least 8 other G turbo owners who want a solution to this problem. Can you describe the tooling in some more detail along with some costs?

You may also want to consider replacing the obsolete plumbing described in the lotus cooling mod, more details in the thread but essentially my idea is to replace 69,63,65,67,68,62 by one silicone hose and to do the same to the hoses on the other transfer pipe

ambrose

ok well i will print off the collant hose parts picture and take it with me to charlie and see if he is interested in making sets up, one thing to bear in mind he will want deposits if hes going to make sets up and he may want a minimum quantity, it wont hurt to ask him. otherwise there is another company i found that makes custom pipes i just have to find it in amoungst my 1000 odd favourite pages stored in ie!

forgot to ad.. doh!

i am going to buy some axel stands today and a few other bits i need then im going to try and get that bloody pipe off and do a few other things also.

Edited by bigsi

I've always got the thing off from the top, with difficulty as has been said. I've found that if you fasten the aluminium pipe (067 in the diagram) to the bulkhead with a hose clamp or thick tiewrap it helps to hold the pipe away from the pulley and belt...I think it's the belt which does the damage, make sure the tension's correct...there's a nice fitting on the bulkhead which you can put the hose clamp around, but it's a horrible task with the engine in. As is almost everything...cushioning on top of the carbs/plenum helps to keep down the bruising!! But nothing will keep you scratch-free. I also find it helps to shorten the pipe a bit to get a better run and stay away from the whirry bits. Good luck, Simon...don't curse too loudly!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

right i imanaged to get under the car today and then 10 mins in it opened up again!! grrr, but at least the cars up in the air on the stands now, so im going to see if i can get to it from underneath tomorrow, if not i have a mate who is about troys dapper and i he will get in therte for me and remove it.

while its up i can get on with cleaning things up that i couldnt get to and check things over, tightening things as i go.

wile the cars up i removed all the exhaust aprts and have cleaned them up, the cast sections have had thier faces mated so now they are nice and smooth ready for new gaskets, a couple of holes need to be tapped and cleaned up so i will get them done monday at the guy who did my head work for me.

yaaaayyy!!! finally, i managed to get under the car today and got the pipe off, great big gouge taken out of it and a hole where the leak was, while under there dogged the water pump tight again with a little threadlock on the bolts and tightened a few other things up while under there, if its good tomorrow im going to clean up the under neath and have that all done so i dont get mucky hands again.

im not going to jinx anything , but i may have found a solution to the pipe issue, not 100% sure yet but i have picked up a pipe that has a flare at the top which goes to the pump, a tight radius curve and a more profiled diameter down, i will test fit tomorrow if the weather holds off, and theres enough length for trimming the pipe ends also. if this is a no go then i can take it back as long as its not cut and try again.