free hit
counters
coolant refill and amounts - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

coolant refill and amounts

i need to make sure i get the cooling refilling right so can someone run me through it please also what the mixture should be for this time of year? i know out of the factory its 40% and when really cold it can be 60% but im not sure what i should put it to now, also i need a coolant with an anti corrosion inhibitor so which brand is the best?

my car is on a slope nose down so i was going to open the header tank, undo bleed screw on rad let it all drain out then once empty do up bleed screw and refill, with heater valve open on full and upper air bleed screw on top of rad open also. then top up as it needs it.

any other info on what to do will be appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bigsi,

Anything "silicate-free" should be good. Honda makes a good one designed especially for aluminum engines. On mixture, depending how cold it gets there, anything from 50-50 to 70 (water)-30 should work. I also assume you know to use distilled water.

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Guest Troy Halliday

Max is 50% Comma Extreme Green, or Shellsafe Antifreeze. The system has approx 12litres. These are both monoethylene glycol-based. But it is always advisable to wash the system through first.

Si,

If you have the coolant mod there is a very detailed method of re-filling in the service note that describes the modification. Ive posted a PDF copy in the Samco thread somewhere. I have a higher res copy available if you want.

Ambrose

Fascinated by the reference to distilled water. Never come across this before..what's the concept at work here?

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Fascinated by the reference to distilled water. Never come across this before..what's the concept at work here?

Distilled water has the impurities removed, so they don't have the chance to calcify the interior of your cooling system.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks, Bibs...cleared that up. I had thought that the impurities thing could be the reason; wouldn't have thought there would be much problem from the impurities in 12 litres of water in a sealed system. I have a boat with a raw water cooling system and that does require a descale every 15 years or so, with river/sea water running directly through the system. Never had a problem with cars, though.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

right i got a gallon of comma green today, and i will get a new load of water tomorrow, i have already done the cooling once but there seems to be an air lock i cant shift at all as the temp wont climb to where it normally sits it just gets to 50 and sits there, so tomorrow im off to a mates garage and doing it there, hopefully that will be that.