free hit
counters
Stuck again - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'm following the instruction for re-carpeting on LEWs, the rear hatch release, on the back firewall, seems as the instruction says, to have only one screw holding, which I have out.

I still cant get it free, is there a secret, or should I unclamp the cable on the actual rease pins, and hope no one closes it !

Roger :lol:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I unclamped it in the engine bay on mine to give enough slack to pull the release lever forward on the firewall then the surround came forward easily - enough to remove the old carpet and fit the new.

If you're worried about someone closing the tailgate, stick a brush handle in the boot to prop the tailgate wide open. That should deter all but the most determined practical jokers. Winding a bare cable round it, connected to the battery, will disuade everyone apart from masochists from touching it

I fitted new tailgate struts to mine so it automatically stays wide open without any visible means of support.

Did your old carpet come away from the floorpan easily?

Still got your fingerprints after using the new glue?

Seen any pink elephants due to the effects of the Toluene in the glue?

Alan

lift the handle to release the hatch and hold it up then you'll be able to pull the surround off.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I think I unclamped it in the engine bay on mine to give enough slack to pull the release lever forward on the firewall then the surround came forward easily - enough to remove the old carpet and fit the new.

If you're worried about someone closing the tailgate, stick a brush handle in the boot to prop the tailgate wide open. That should deter all but the most determined practical jokers. Winding a bare cable round it, connected to the battery, will disuade everyone apart from masochists from touching it

I fitted new tailgate struts to mine so it automatically stays wide open without any visible means of support.

Did your old carpet come away from the floorpan easily?

Still got your fingerprints after using the new glue?

Seen any pink elephants due to the effects of the Toluene in the glue?

Alan

Thanks, that's what I did, suprisingly, having come home from the hardware store armed with three bottles of mineral turpentine, the whole back peice came off without a tear, intact and can be used as a template to cut the new peice!

The rest came out pretty easy too, so just to celebrate, I decided ah well, may as well do the roof lining. See, I don't need pink elephants, I can loose it all on my own!

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger,

If you're recovering the roof lining with the original material from SJ Sportscars, the trick is to paint the glue on the panel, wait until it dries a bit ( until tacky), then apply the material. If the glue is still wet it will seep through the material giving an unacceptable finish as the material is quite thin.

Great to hear you're making good progress.

You've obviously got nicer weather than we have in the UK. It's freezing.

Alan

I replaced the rooflining material and a few other bits in mine recently. I used evo stick impact adhesive which you spread thinly on each part, let them tack off, then put in place. It works really well.

An interesting side effect was that the interior of my car now smells like a new one! (for a while anyway).

Roger,

If you're recovering the roof lining with the original material from SJ Sportscars, the trick is to paint the glue on the panel, wait until it dries a bit ( until tacky), then apply the material. If the glue is still wet it will seep through the material giving an unacceptable finish as the material is quite thin.

Great to hear you're making good progress.

You've obviously got nicer weather than we have in the UK. It's freezing.

Alan

Thanks, that sounds like good advice, I'll take it.