free hit
counters
Intriguing "S2" - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matk

Intriguing "S2"

See this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Esprit-S2-No-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm very intrigued by this car. Correct S2 Interior and wheels, but it's a "Y" plate i.e. 1981-1982. Surely this is far too late to be an S2. Is it really an S2.2? Even for one of these it looks too new by registration. For me something doesn't seem quite right. If it's a genuine S2 or even a S2.2 it's got to be right at the end of production. I'm just curious..........

Edit - Just noticed it also has the earlier centre console without the extra vents above the radio.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes but that's what is confusing me, the plate seems too new for the car and if that's so it's illegal.

Regards

Mat

It shows as being registered in 1982 but year of manufacturer is 1980 by DVLA so nothing dodgy about it. it has probably been abroad, or possibly unsold for sometime.

It is not neccesarily illegal to have a plate which is newer than the car. The dvla used to issue new registrations to old cars at one point. My Land-Rover was built in 1968 but was first road registered in 1980 when it left the army and was given a 1980 V plate although the v5 states year of manufacture as 68 and it is still tax exempt, and legitamatly has black and silver plates too.

Edited by Kimbers

I'm very intrigued by this car. Correct S2 Interior and wheels, but it's a "Y" plate i.e. 1981-1982. Surely this is far too late to be an S2. Is it really an S2.2? Even for one of these it looks too new by registration. For me something doesn't seem quite right. If it's a genuine S2 or even a S2.2 it's got to be right at the end of production. I'm just curious..........

Edit - Just noticed it also has the earlier centre console without the extra vents above the radio.

Actually, Y is 1/8/82 to 31/7/83.

I think the reg no. must not be younger than the first registration date, not the manufacturing date. I used to have a Ford Probe that was registered in Feb 96, but was built in 94.

IIRC, there is a yellow Y-reg S2.2 featured in the 'Addiction for Life' video. I guess some must have hung around dealers showrooms for a while. The first S3s were X-reg, and a lot cheaper than the outgoing S2.2, so I guess the dealers must have offered some very special deals to sell the older models remaining in stock.

Paul.

PS Does anyone else think those number plates have been photoshopped?

Edited by PVK 596Y
tidy post

Looks to me like a flash.

Yes, that is strange about the number plate. I haven't seen as S2 with 1982-83 plates on. It's must have hung around in the dealers for 3 -4 years, but that's still doesn't make much sense. That fact that the histroy's gone missing has probably got something to do with it, and is enough not to buy it.

Edited by Kimbers
tidy post

Could be as simple as being sold to the Channel Islands first then re-imported. My mate is looking at an ex-Jersey L reg Griffith which is a year older than it's plate.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Mat

It could be one of the Turbo prototypes. They were on the S2 format. However they were noticeable as they had the body kit, but old S2 wheels. However, it's got the non Turbo engine, so maybe it isn't that.

It is a bit old for an S2, not too much however. Earlier in 2007 we sold a load of Accords that were 06 model and I know that when the old man took over at lotus they had a year of stock sitting awaiting sale, so it's not unusual for a car to sit at least 12 months.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

When the S3 came out the dealers probably had a difficult time getting rid of the S2 stock they were still carrying. Probably nothing more sinister than that.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I agree with all your points, however to me the theory that they may have had S2 cars sitting around doesn't seem likely. Don't forget production swapped to the S2.2 before going to the S3, so this car is 2 models out of date with it's reg plate.

I've emailed the seller asking for the chassis no and he's replied back with 7907/0782G. It's only 2 months and about 30 cars on from mine. This indicates manufactured July 1979, so still seems the plate doesn't fit.

Kimbers, you may have hit the nail on the head, is it possible the car was owned and run by the factory for say 18 months, without ever being UK road registered, and then sold on once the factory no longer had need for it? If so this could well be another of the Turbo mules as you say. Any way you can check with Hethel? I'm wondering if it has an interesting as yet undiscovered history.

Regards

Mat