free hit
counters
Front Splitter - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
th4neuk

Front Splitter

Just a thought but would a front splitter be of any benefit to the esprit shape or are they just for the max-power crowd??

It looks like the GT1 ones are huge but would something smaller be of aerodynamic benefit.

Bit ignorant when it comes to the full on aero package??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure of any performance advatages, but a nice slab of carbon fiber hung under the front bumper really spices the appearance up :)

DSC02078.JPG

on almost any vehicle - it will have an advantage when you drive at the edge.

On my LS - the front is very square - so I went with a CF splitter (similar to Russ' above) which creates a high-pressure zone using the front of the vehicle to stop and trap the air - pushing the nose down. My top speed increased from 147mph to 153mph. I also added canards to help my high-speed cornering - and introduce a little more over-steer.

On my Esprit - I went a different route - since the nose is much smaller and sleek. I added the Sport 300 blip - which is more of a skirt. This helps keep the air from getting under the car, creating a vacuum and downforce.

you can see each in the links in my sig.

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Cheers Guys.

Russ that looks great. Did you make that yourself??

So which would have a better effect then. The S350 style rubber skirt or a splitter similar to Russ's car (For looks I'd go with Russ though!!)

Lou, Sorry to be ignorant ... Canard??? + I can't see the links sorry

Cheers

Edited by th4neuk

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I thought that the front lip or splitter is more beneficial when it's closer to the ground. Having a splitter shaped like a blade and wind gets underneath it (i.e your car isn't low enough) then I would have thought thas this could be dangerous, even more so than not having one at all.

On a road car, lips are created for similar results creating negative pressure under the car, but made from flexible materials to be more forgiving.

Dave

the blade does work - by creating a shelf where the air packs up causing a high-pressure zone, so as the air streams underneath the car - low pressure zone is created, and thus the splitter helps exaggerate the differential and pulls the car's nose down. Even if it's tipped up slightly - like an upsidedown wing.... the air speed under is higher than over and therefore creating reverse lift...

now add some ducting under the car to manage air flow and you can really do some things.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Alright Lou explain further. I'm intrigued now.

By ducting do you mean a rear diffuser or something else?? The underside of the esprit seems quite flat underneath anyway??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

yep - you got it - as smooth as possible then curve it on exit - again to create a reverse wing effect - speeding up the air stream thus creasing reverse lift (vacuum/downforce).

Here's what I did to the LS...

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Would adding something like that to the rear have any adverse effects on engine cooling then??

I'm assuming this is made out of aluminium sheet??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

for the Esprit - that's a good question.

I have some NACA vents that I plan to use for that. add sheet to smooth it - punch in some NACA vents to guide some of the airflow up into the engine bay.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hmm bit more research on this topic then.

Are any designs better or do you just need to flow air out of the back better aka the Exige style undertray??

I think some cardboard may be required.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

On request :-

Here are a few images of the installation on both my road project and the GT1 racer for the front splitter/rear diffuser:

Road project:

FinalAssy.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0022-1.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

RearDiffuser.jpg

DiffuserBare.jpg

Racer:

2001Privrockingham0006.jpg

DSCF10009-1.jpg

DSCF0024-1.jpg

The real tangable benefits of either in a normal road application are questionable, but at higher speeds (> 120mph) there are definative advantages. Sufficient engine cooling can be tackled by further ventalation of the rear of the car:

msek001.jpg

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Hi Mike,

In the last picture, what is the duct on the rear passenger side for? I have often wondered it there was enough space in the flanks to mount intercoolers with vents similar to that one. :)

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris (and Happy New Year !),

The LHS rear wing NACA duct is to provide airflow to an additional oil cooler, that is fitted above the rear of the transmission. On the race car they added a second one on the RHS to control transmission oil temperature racing in Spain.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Hi Mike,

Another 'while I think of it' question. Does your replica have any brake cooling ducts at the front?

If yes do you have any pics?

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris,

There are vents in the rear of each front wheel arch extention which help to get heat away.

My back-up plan if required to remove the front fog lights and duct to the brakes.

Cheers,

Mike S

That was my thought but then I wondered how much 'junk' was behind the lights making it too difficult to route ducting. Brakes are probably my biggest long standing bug bear (gearbox aside for now). I thought I might have cracked it with the AP brakes on the Sport 350 but I don't think they are happy on a typical track. I know the fluid got a bit hot recently at Bedford and resulted in a mushy pedal. It was manageable by lifting early and only doing a few laps at a time but that is not ideal. I don't really want to go overboard with an upgrade. I am considering 330mm x 32mm, I would like 343mm x 32mm but I don't think the standard calipers will support that diameter. APs website shows CP5200 calipers have a max disc diameter of 330mm and I think those are the same calipers as the ones supplied as standard by Lotus. I am not sure if 356mm discs would fit under 17" rims and they would definitely need new calipers which is an expense I am not willing to undertake right now.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

-Chris

If you are really getting hard on your brakes... I have seen (not on an Esprit but could be done) a wiper washer res. modified and plumed to spray water onto the rotor/caliper. It would be triggered on the straight to cool the brakes faster. You just have to do a bit of trial and error running to find the spot where the brakes are cooled - but not too cooled. It was cheap and effective for road course applications. There is also the possibilty of fitting carbon ceramic rotors...?

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

You wouldn't want to dump too much water on the discs....

The calipers should be ok though....

Racing Lorries dump water onto their drum brakes to cool them, looks fab when you see them piling steam out the arches.....

Have you tried a different brake fluid...

Castrol SRF race fluid maybe.....??? something with a higher boiling point and some harder pads should do the trick on their own I would have thought

Air cooling would help disperse the heat quicker between the corners...

Simon

Chunky Lover

Excellent,

Just the pics I was after.

Thanks Mike,

BTW hows the rebuild coming on?? More power?

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

You wouldn't want to dump too much water on the discs....

The calipers should be ok though....

Racing Lorries dump water onto their drum brakes to cool them, looks fab when you see them piling steam out the arches.....

Have you tried a different brake fluid...

Castrol SRF race fluid maybe.....??? something with a higher boiling point and some harder pads should do the trick on their own I would have thought

Air cooling would help disperse the heat quicker between the corners...

Simon

Hi Simon,

I had SRF fluid in a previous 87 Esprit HC with braided hoses and it was very good. I even abused that and didn't change it at the yearly intervals without any negative effects.

I have had some issues which has kept the car off the road (and track) for over a year and Bedford was the first good outing. Fluid is definitely in need of upgrading but I am going to try and AP racing fluid this time which will mix with existing fluid. It just makes life a little easier. I have Pagid blue pads in at the moment and they are pretty good. In fairness the fluid boiled before the brakes gave up so the fluid route should be a good start.

I will need to replace the discs soon as a matter of maintenance and want to move away from the Lotus AP discs because of the price. I am convinced they are engineered to be Lotus specific just so Lotus can charge extortionate amounts for what could be off the shelf items.

My main stumbling block are the needs for new mounting bells to accommodate the standard AP PCD mounting holes and modified caliper brackets to allow for a larger diameter. I don't know any friendly machine shops who could do the work so the hunt goes on.

Hi Cameron,

I have seen the truck racing and the water cooled brakes certainly add to the occasion. I have a spare water injection system so I could meter the water very nicely and get a good spray pattern but I don't think I will yet until I have explored the more common solutions. I would be worried about warping the discs or maybe cracking something by over zealous cooling.

Carbon ceramic... hmm, a nice idea but I remember Porsche took a while to get them right plus my budget is not really in the ceramic range. :)

I want to keep the stock AP calipers, upgrade to off the shelf AP discs (330mm x 32mm or 343mm x 32mm) by means of custom made mounting bells and caliper brackets, add some good AP fluid (probably CP4510, its about 10% of the price of Castrol SRF!) and fit some braided hoses. If that doesn't work then I may try cooling ducting or wire the wastegates open! :)

cheers

-Chris

The AP Lotus discs are Lotus specific items, apparently you can't even buy them from anywhere other than Lotus.... guess you already know that...

I've got the S350 AP calipers to fit on my S3Turbo along with the Mag wheels, although I've bought genuine AP 330mm x 32mm discs (the largest these calipers are designed for) and will have to get my own mounting bell made so I can fit them...

In the long run it is a much more cost efficient way of buying discs as this size is readily available and with the offspin of slightly bigger discs and better braking.....

If you do want SRF fluid it may well be worth contacting Mark @ Pipelines Motorsports to see if he can get it at a reduced price...

Just had a look on ebay..... the AP fluid on there is not much cheaper than the SRF...

Simon

Chunky Lover

The AP Lotus discs are Lotus specific items, apparently you can't even buy them from anywhere other than Lotus.... guess you already know that...

I've got the S350 AP calipers to fit on my S3Turbo along with the Mag wheels, although I've bought genuine AP 330mm x 32mm discs (the largest these calipers are designed for) and will have to get my own mounting bell made so I can fit them...

In the long run it is a much more cost efficient way of buying discs as this size is readily available and with the offspin of slightly bigger discs and better braking.....

If you do want SRF fluid it may well be worth contacting Mark @ Pipelines Motorsports to see if he can get it at a reduced price...

Just had a look on ebay..... the AP fluid on there is not much cheaper than the SRF...

Simon

Hi Simon,

How much were the discs and where did you get them from?

Have you found somewhere to make the mounting bells? I think Superdave may have drawings for them and can possible get them made too (Dave?? :fun: )

The 330mm max diameter would confirm that the Lotus AP calipers are the CP5200 series from AP.

When I bought SRF the last time it was about