free hit
counters
3rd flat battery - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbers

3rd flat battery

I have a battery cut off switch fitted to my car from before I bought it. Now the question is, do I use it to stop my battery draining?

I know it has a "Smart" chip, something to do with when the turbo cuts in but it never gets time to figure my driving out as the batteries go kaput within days of parking it up!

What does this chip do? Will I never get the best out my car unless I get this drain on the battery sorted?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tony,

The cut off switch is only a short term solution. The ECU will always be relearning after each 'power' cut so you will not get the best from your car. Also, does the disconnected battery disable the alarm? In which case you may find that your insurance will not be valid if the car is stolen.

If it was my car I'd try to get to the bottom of the drain problem.

Regards,

Peter.

yep - I have a kill switch on my LS - and evertime I use it I hate the car for then next hour while the PCM re-learns everything.

Whatever is draining the battery may be something serious.....

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hi,

Tony, I know you said you tested the battery, but is it still ok and not dead? Since fitting my new battery the car starts fine, I haven't driven it all over Christmas, it sits outside and every time I've gone to it, it's started first time and no lights popping up. I was having the same symptoms as you, battery going flat in a day nearly, especially after a heavy frost. Also the alarms on and the window switches are lit all the time.

I bought my new battery from Panks, four year guarantee,

Edited by OwenGT3

As the others have said you have a drain somewhere fix that, there is nothing wrong with the battery. I had a similar problem with my land rover it was a relay in the engine bay.

Put a voltage tester acroos the battery and pull each fuse until you stop draing power this will give you the circuit to look at.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Tony as said find the power leak and fix that if you cant do that at the moment then get a battery conditioner to keep it topped up while your not using it at least that way it all satys powered up and as long as it is not draining the batery in a day or so shouldnt draw too much current and cost loads to keep it conditioned.

That way your ECU will keep its memory which is what you want and you can fix the issue in your own time.