free hit
counters
Which Chip? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rearwheelaction

Which Chip?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i would go for the # 6 chip (red race code)

and

while your talking about a lack of power

upgrade your turbo (super 60)

install 2 bigger secondary injectors and a bigger chargecooler

rens

Edited by rens914

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

That's pretty much the route I'm going to be taking, along with a flowed plenum and BOV. I may go for the PUK chip switch though, so I can pick the chip according to driving conditions.

If you've got the stock brakes, you should probably put aside some dosh to upgrade them too, otherwise your enjoyment may be short-lived.

More speed, less haste

Hi Gareth,

#4, #5 and #6 are identical, the only difference is the max boost level.

My personal favourite is #6 :(

Of course, upgrading to a better flowing turbo will give a very noticable increase in power/torque, but you can do that later when your stock turbo is on its way out ...

Cheers

Marcus

Ive read all the reviews and i think i might go for the Chip 5. What does eveyone else think. Am i choosing the right one? Ive a S4 with decatted exhaust, induction.
Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

I recently got my turbo reconditioned. I was looking to upgrade the turbo but when i spoke to lotus they said it wouldn't make much difference. I should of joined this forum earlier and asked you guys about it.

I was just worrying about to much power on the chip and didn't want to blow engine or gearbox. I think i will get Chip6 after reading your comments.

If you get the time, read this. It's a thread discussing turbo options for the Esprit and is entirely inconclusive as to if any aftermarket turbos are better than stock.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's a thread discussing turbo options for the Esprit and is entirely inconclusive as to if any aftermarket turbos are better than stock.

Keep telling yourself that.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Cheers,

Sanj

Your input as ever is most constructive and appreciated.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi All,

IMHO all aftermarket turbos are definitely different that the stock ones. From my experience all the reflowed, bigger aftermarket ones offer more flow in certain rpm/load regions.

There is just a discussion about what suites the Esprits engine characteristics best. And of course this is to a more or less extend a personal point of view.

I personally am in favour for these types of reflowed turbos that have the most linear characteristic (similar to the stock turbos characteristic) just with more flow capacity overall.

Others may prefer a turbo that noticably empasizes some rpm areas (maybe the mids or the high rpms).

But, just saying that the stock one is the "same" and everything else is waste of time and money is not really true.

Cheers

Marcus

If you get the time, read this. It's a thread discussing turbo options for the Esprit and is entirely inconclusive as to if any aftermarket turbos are better than stock.

Marcus

We'll not discuss this in this topic, it's been discussed and the old topic is still open for more comment. It contains all the comments to date and my opinion is that, my opinion.

Back on topic please.

Evora NA

Bibs,

It was you who started it in this topic ... :(

Cheers

Marcus

We'll not discuss this in this topic, it's been discussed and the old topic is still open for more comment. It contains all the comments to date and my opinion is that, my opinion.

Back on topic please.

Marcus

I recently got my turbo reconditioned. I was looking to upgrade the turbo but when i spoke to lotus they said it wouldn't make much difference. I should of joined this forum earlier and asked you guys about it.

Well, not really but ho-hum. :D

I might get a new chip too once my new turbo and exhaust are on. I'm enjoying reading this thread so keep the chip info coming :(

Evora NA

I think the main point is:

1) The stock ECU programming limits boost to stock levels, so a bigger turbo will not boost more, though it might be more or less efficient depending on if it was chosen properly for the state of tune.

2) The stock turbo is fairly near its limit with the stock ECU programming, so an upgraded ECU won't necessarily be able to provide much more performance than stock.

3) So some of the higher performing ECU programs, also require (or work better with) upgraded components such as more fuel and more boost.

And if that sounds wishy washy, it is, because there are a lot of variables (subjective ones too) and it is not really possible to say with absolute certainty unless you have tried it yourself, and then it's still subjective...

I think the #2 chip is a big upgrade from the Stock SE chip in terms of drivability and progressiveness, and the #6 chip is great with a bigger turbo and more fuel.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Travis,

Great summary !

I have nothing to add here :(

Cheers

Marcus

I think the main point is:

1) The stock ECU programming limits boost to stock levels, so a bigger turbo will not boost more, though it might be more or less efficient depending on if it was chosen properly for the state of tune.

2) The stock turbo is fairly near its limit with the stock ECU programming, so an upgraded ECU won't necessarily be able to provide much more performance than stock.

3) So some of the higher performing ECU programs, also require (or work better with) upgraded components such as more fuel and more boost.

And if that sounds wishy washy, it is, because there are a lot of variables (subjective ones too) and it is not really possible to say with absolute certainty unless you have tried it yourself, and then it's still subjective...

I think the #2 chip is a big upgrade from the Stock SE chip in terms of drivability and progressiveness, and the #6 chip is great with a bigger turbo and more fuel.

Marcus

I like the sound of #2 then, I'll look into getting one of those :(

Evora NA

I like the sound of #7. :)

I think Travis is quite correct.

I also feel that the 'style' of chip you get should depend on 'previous' modifications and indeed what you want from your Esprit.

Hence i think a 'custom' chip would inevitably be the way forward for 'special' applications or modified engines like mine.

If your engine is standard Gareth and you have a de-cat start with #2 and #3 see what you prefer. Then build the mods to support bigger turbo and #5/6/7 if you want.

It's all about bang for buck though i think, and some may not think a Big Chargecooler is worth the buck for the amount of bang.

Is your application street or track?

One change somewhere inevitably means a change somewhere else as a result. Cause and effect, etc.

It's your car mate do what you like to it - plenty of advice, discussion here but above all enjoy the Esprit it's the best.

Just my opinion.

Rog

PS: Marcus you able to make me a custom chip to go with a Stage 2 WC Turbo and plenty other toys or should i try #7 off the shelf? :)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Ive only got an upgraded exhaust and induction....The rest of the car is pretty much standard. I was affraid of getting a bigger chip and blowing the engine etc. Would *Chip 6* be ok for my car??? Im into modified cars and do alot of events etc. I really want to have an Esprit which is fast...At the minute to me its not running at its full protential so thats my main priority first...Brakes/Gearbox.

I would agree with Roger,get the thing going and stopping as it should first.

A lot of these mods will work best in conjunction with others and really need to be part of a programme if thats what you are going to aim for.

If you are going to track the car I would spend my money on chassis/brakes/tyres etc first, every time.Having raced a a few one make championships I can say that through painful experience!!!!Set up is everything.

I know we all want the most powerful Esprit out there but even in standard form it is a sub 5 sec 0-60 car with a 165 top end.I think it all gets a bit relative when you are talking about 10th's of a second on a road car.

This may be my age but I actually found my sport 350 too fast for the roads around where I live !!!And a pain in the arse because of it.

Above all enjoy the car,thats the point and whatever you decide to do you will get constructive help here.

Regards

Richard