free hit
counters
S4s for Sale in Austin Texas - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
brucet

S4s for Sale in Austin Texas

There's a white S4s for sale in Austin. It's on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Lotus-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Is anyone familiar with it and the seller? Does anyone know of the "Independent Lotus Mechanic" in Austin who might look it over?

This is for a friend of mine here in Southern California.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce T

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bruce - I'd avoid it like the plague unless you can get it for ~$20K. All the warning signs are there:

1) "The car had been involved in a single car mishap before I bought it, and I decided to take it on as a restoration project" -

2 )"The damage was to the front air dam (valance) below the front bumper, and required replacement of the air dam and the radiator behind it. Both airbags had gone off, and those were replaced as well. The airbag light stays on, but I believe it just needs to be reset by a tech"

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I've been watching this one... What do you think is wrong with it? Looks pretty straight... Not gonna buy it, just curious.

I'm in Austin - don't mind helping out. I do not know of any other independant Lotus mechanic - but I'll try to find out and post back info.

There is a 'lotus of austin' that has mixed results from their service to other local Lotus owners. I don't use them - since I try to do everything myself.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

There is a fairly large Lotus Club in TX and chances are they may know about this car. I think that would be the 1st step. The only Lotus dealer in TX that is well known on the turbo list is Wally from Star Motors but I think that he is in Houston.

I'm in Austin - don't mind helping out. I do not know of any other independant Lotus mechanic - but I'll try to find out and post back info.

There is a 'lotus of austin' that has mixed results from their service to other local Lotus owners. I don't use them - since I try to do everything myself.

Thanks for the response, Lou.

According to the Seller (who was emailed by my friend), the mechanic is called Colvin Automotive. Heard of them?

I guess you've never seen this car tooling (or hooning) around town? In one of the photos in ebay, it's parked behind another Esprit--black, maybe an SE, with a Texas license plate that looks like "139 DRW".

Bruce

Yep - Colvin is a good shop. They were the lead shop on the Lance Armstrong GTO build the TV show Overhaulin' did a few years back.

I have used their dyno a few times, but not their actual repair services.

They seems to be a shop that can tackle the one-off's.

Edit for speeeling....

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

In addition take it to a body shop to see how well the repairs were done.

A look underneath should be a good indicator of the damage....new suspension parts will be noticeably cleaner than the rest of the original parts.

Just from someone who just went to Austin to buy his Esprit from SoCal...DO NOT give any money before an in person inspection of the car. Assume the seller is a liar until proven truthful. Especially on a car that has been in a shunt. Look for stress cracks, poor paint repair, etc.

The person I bought my car from FLAT OUT lied on some stuff. People will only take advantage of you if you let them.

If he is really interested in the car then it is time to buy a cheap plane ticket and get a rental and take a look. It could save you from buying a disaster.

If he is really interested in the car then it is time to buy a cheap plane ticket and get a rental and take a look. It could save you from buying a disaster.

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

There's a good reason no one's bidding, who wants a crashed and rebuilt "story" car.

I have a message into the former master tech of Lotus of Austin - see if he would be interest to review the car.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....