free hit
counters
Engine Detailing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Detailing

Hi all,

my engine needs cleaning and tidying up and could do with new hoses and fresh wire covers for the electrics etc. Apart from the obvious time for dismantling, cleaning and polishing what are the approximate costs of getting the engine detailed with new stuff. Am I looking at the best part of several hundred quid in new parts , hoses, connectors etc?

Also what are the major pitfalls for a mechanical muppet like me venturing in and pulling apart as someone shouts from the back " put the spanner down and walk away from the car"?

The reason I would like to know is the exterior is going to be professionally detailed in April and so really the engine needs doing this summer if costs are not prohibitive.

cheers

Alex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mine a while back, it's really not that hard as long as you take photos and ask questions.

If you need any help gimme a shout, I can loan you the direction of some good suppliers.

You'll want to do all the hose clips in stainless steel for sure :(

Depends how far you want to go, once you get the boot floor out you'll be suprised how accessable everything is !

Hardest part is getting around the rusty bolts etc

facebook = [email protected]

i will galdly pop up with all my cleaning tools, polishers etc to give you a hand if you want one :( you know how bad i am for having concourse cars, look at my last car!!! i stripped it down front to rear to clean everything up and paint or chrome, powder coat parts.

clean up the engine, get it coated and painted up, god mine is so easy to clean now, same with the arms etc, do the chassis frame also, the under arms hubs etc.

as for pipes, get some nice samco pipes and trim to fit, get some nice aeroquip or earles end connectors, get rid of the crappy jubilee's and replace with overlock adonised clamps, theres lots to do.

mmmm cleaning and polishing.. i love it!! i got loads of polishing stuff so dont go buying anything inc products

Edited by bigsi

Hi Jon, BigSi,

thanks for your offers, once the warmer weather is here in about april I will make a start and be calling upon your expertises in this area. First step will be to take it someone like you guys and go over what are the key bits to do first. Whats the prepping i need etc. get the advice sorted before the spanners come out

Also slightly of topic in my own thread but what the heck its mine, the boot drains need redoing and this will entail drilling out the rivets, gett two new bit of pipe duct and some quality sealant. So the question is, how hard or easy is drilling the rivets, do you start with a fine drill and work up bit by bit with a decent cordless?

cheers

Alex

when i took my top runner off the other week i bought some decent hss drill bit sets and used them, i made sure that the bit i used was 3.5 mm as some of the older rivets are around that size or you can use a larger size but without much pressure and it will eat at the ear of the rivet, when thats gone you will see the centre only, then when all are done you can remove the piece then with a small punch or old thin bit or nail you can tp them through to the otherside and poull them out

Edited by bigsi

I usually use a 4mm or 5mm drill bit and just take the head off then punch the inner part through the hole.

Dont try drilling all the way through incase the pin is still in the encre of the rivet cause the drill will go off centre and mash the fibreglass a little....

Its easy peasy....

Simon

Chunky Lover

Same for me as per Simon.

I drilled the heads off the rivets and then punched them through. You get to collect them from inside the boot after.

I just used silicone round the drains and re revitted them on. Done this on both my old turbo and the V8.

I dressed up the engine bay on the white turbo a bit. Was quite simple really. Just take your time on it really. I'd go with new silicone hose though rather than existing stuff.

2823630180046487786S200x200Q85.jpg

Cheers

Edited by th4neuk

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

TBH Alex once you get the boot floor off there isn't a lot you cant get to.

Dont go too crazy is my advice, once you take the chargecooler and plenum off the engine there is a lot under there which is covered and hidden that's probably best left alone unless you have a lot of time / money.

As you can see from Alans pic those 2 parts attract the most visual...stuff... so just tarting them up would be a start.

Then beg Superdave to do some stainless, laser engraved replacement plates for the chargecooler to represent each model.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

• 1 year later...

Just checked out your carbon stuff and looks good, where did you buy the mat from and what spec was it? Are you also going to do the trims behind the doors and infront of the rear qtr light? They are on my to do list.

Just checked out your carbon stuff and looks good, where did you buy the mat from and what spec was it? Are you also going to do the trims behind the doors and infront of the rear qtr light? They are on my to do list.

Thanks Adrian!

The carbon mat is (193g/m2-2/2 twilli 3K) 35

Edited by juki75

Jukka Angerpuro

Hi Jukka, the engine and other bits look great, I have done loads to my car except the engine, its just clean but does need some work to make as good as the body work, I will view your site with interest.

Well done she looks great

Dave

hi Jukka,

i am loving what you are doing with the engine.

could you write up a spec list of the materials and parts you have bought to act as a reference for us all?

cheers

Alex

Hi Jukka, the engine and other bits look great, I have done loads to my car except the engine, its just clean but does need some work to make as good as the body work, I will view your site with interest.

Well done she looks great

Dave

Thanks guys!

I will try to do a reference for you.

Jukka

Jukka Angerpuro

• 3 months later...