free hit
counters
Interior Color Change - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Interior Color Change

I am thinking about refurbing the interior of an 88 I have. It is currently gray leather, and the carpet is that nasty light gray / light tan / light faded brown color . . .anyway, it would definately benefit from a color change. I was thinking of going black with the carpet and if it works well, maybe dying the grey leather black . . any comments . . . does this connoly hide accept leather dye? Anyone done this ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I am thinking about refurbing the interior of an 88 I have. It is currently gray leather, and the carpet is that nasty light gray / light tan / light faded brown color . . .anyway, it would definately benefit from a color change. I was thinking of going black with the carpet and if it works well, maybe dying the grey leather black . . any comments . . . does this connoly hide accept leather dye? Anyone done this ?

connoly hide connoly hide, The leather trim in Lotus's was pioneered when Chapman ran over a possibly already dead cat on his wat to work. Mine too is an 88, I have counted 4 diferent leathers and as many colours.

That said I an currently doing mine, black carpet, cream leather. I an using Leathereque, it's no 5 minite job.

I have done a peice on stripping the cabin, I'm curently dpoing a peice on removing the carpet, then I intend covering the re-dying process.

So yes you can re-dye the leather, parts of minr were brown, and I seem to be geting good coverage with the cream.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I once saw an 88 Esprit that had originally had a blue leather interior, that had been died black.

The black had come off in certain areas and it looked awful to be honest.

If you can afford it, it may be worth getting the leather re done with new stuff in whatever colour you like?

Won't be cheap, but it'll look (and smell!) great.

Chances are your current interior is a tad tatty by now anyway?

Mel Broom at Lotus does re trimming. He's the chap who will have originally trimmed your car as well!

Or you could just do what I'm doing. swap the interior for the one out of the V8. (no, don't.. seriousley!!)

All the leather in mine has been re-dyed from dove grey to black.

You have to clean the old surface off using a special cleaner (ammonia based?) And let it dry well before water-proofing it but other than that I've had no issues, no flaking, peeling etc.

Andy

p.s. Woolies-trim was the stuff I used.

I did mine, not so much colour change but spruce up I used SEM soap to clean the leather before coating.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Does anyone know about the prep . . . do you have to remove the current shiny water proofing or coating . . .do you have to use an abrasive . . .

i re-did my leather stayed with the same color tan i used the spray can stuff i removed the seats and the door pannels wiped down all the leather with paint thinner, than sprayed two coats.... it worked great... looks very good..... i had to go to a leather shop to buy the stuff.... not to expensive though

Does anyone know about the prep . . . do you have to remove the current shiny water proofing or coating . . .do you have to use an abrasive . . .

Go here http://www.leatherique.com/ all your questions will be answered.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I redyed my once putrid tan leather to a brilliant black using liquid leather here in the USA, I pulled all the interior out, sanded it and cleaned it as specified by the manufacturer of the dye. It came out very nicely, I dyed all of the door panels, dash and trim round the sunroof but chose to retrim the center console, map pocket and seats with new leather as they were in bad shape. The liquid leather I used was around $125 US for all I needed, cleaner, prep, dye and treatment/food.

Also, you lot over across the pond have access to carpet kits from SJsportscars, I had a local upholstry shop rip out the old puke colored carpet and replaced it with black! Very nice!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Rather than use dye, why not just replace the existing leather? A decent upholstery/interiors shop should be able to do it. It would be more expensive, but would look great. You can also change the stitch patterns and add contrasting piping. One day my grey leather will be replaced with tan leather and black piping.

Is it hard to get the whole dash out? The leather on my dashboard and passenger airbag is shrinking and would also need to be redone.