free hit
counters
Airel - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

OK, whilst the cabin is bare, no better time to investigate the areil. Now I'm puzzled, it didn't work properly just rumble, rumble, rumble, and go up abput half an inch, same when turned off.

I've got it out, got it extended, cleaned it oiled it, still the same, what puzzles me is the earth braid, and it's on LEW's site, last time I heard about it, this car was fibreglass, so what is this earth strap earthing aginst, mine was over the top of the airel.

I have proved I can earth it via the coax cable, or I could tie the earth off to any constant earth, but, and here's the question, is earthing it through the coxal, which in turn will be to the chasis of the radio, good enough, or am I loosing current.

Because I'll be !*!* if it was earthed any other way.

Roger :(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The aerial should earth for the power function, and also for the 'ground loop' for the actual aerial itself.

It should have an earth strap going to the chassis somewhere.

Why don't you bin it (while it's out) and put a small rubber grommit in to block the hole up. Then get an internal aerial that you can stick behind the rooflining?

I got one on ebay for about a tenner.

A few of us have done this with great results, and will save you have to take your door off if you get a problem with it again in the future.

If you want you car to look 'stock' you could always leave it in there, but disconnected.

Edited by Glyn Harper

The aerial should earth for the power function, and also for the 'ground loop' for the actual aerial itself.

It should have an earth strap going to the chassis somewhere.

Why don't you bin it (while it's out) and put a small rubber grommit in to block the hole up. Then get an internal aerial that you can stick behind the rooflining?

I got one on ebay for about a tenner.

A few of us have done this with great results, and will save you have to take your door off if you get a problem with it again in the future.

If you want you car to look 'stock' you could always leave it in there, but disconnected.

I like your style, can you tell me more about this intrnal areil, the roof lining is out so now is a good time, and I already have 4 holes to block up from where I took the wing off, so one more isn't much odds, and your'e right, it's not a job you need to be doing twice!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Being an obsesive compulsive, I coulnd't leave it alone, so here's my version of how to fit it, take the earth strap and chuck it! Make an earth lead to fix to to the existing earth on the relay clamp around the ariel, fix that directly to the nearest earth on the chasis, probably where the bottom mount is fastened.

That done, mine sudenly went up and down like a bought one!

Roger :)