free hit
counters
AntiLock and Brake Light.....Brake Problems? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rearwheelaction

AntiLock and Brake Light.....Brake Problems?

I know i have been ranting on about my brakes but just to add a further note. The Antilock and the handbrake light is constantly on. Obviously hence thats why i have a brake problem. Has these lights ever come on with any of your esprits and how did you fix the problem.

I was originally thinking it was the master cylinder....The brakes are like, when you sit in a car and the key is switched off. When you put your foot on the brake and keep pumping they go hard. The brakes are constantly like that at the moment.

Edited by Rearwheelaction

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It sounds as if you may have lost power assist for the brakes. If this is the case then you will have next to no brakes.

The system consists of a pump, pressure accumulator and pressure switch in the front. Every few times you apply the brakes the pump should run - you can hear it if it is working. If not first check for blown fuses.

Somewhere on the web is a good description of how to test whats wrong but I can not find it right now!

Alan

Hiya again,

Check out my recent thread on this.

It is the exact same problem I had with an S4 I recently owned for a month !

My experience with this happening tells me this;

If both lights are on (ABS and brakes ) it means you have lost all power assistance to the brakes.The pump is not switching on and the pressure accumulator not filling up .This could the the pump or more likely the pressure switch in the end of the accumulator.They are a common problem.The accumulator was replaced on the car I had by PNM for about

Gareth Hi,

I was told that a year ago the switches were

Edited by MGFCrasher

What would just the brake light being illuminated mean? It happened to me the other day, but hasn't happened again. I'm hoping it just means I'm a moron and didn't get the parking brake all the way down. :getmecoat:

What would just the brake light being illuminated mean? It happened to me the other day, but hasn't happened again. I'm hoping it just means I'm a moron and didn't get the parking brake all the way down. :getmecoat:

Dead easy to not release the handbrake fully,i reckon every single person on here has done it at least once in Esprit ownership,Just because your handbrake light is on it doesn't necessary mean your pads are actually in contact with the disc's,,sit on a slope and see just how far your lever has to be on to actually stop the car rolling,generally the handbrake's are at best ok and worst pooh,i always leave mine in gear for those "just in case" moments.(Bit like the Vauxhall handbrake "anomaly")

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

At least the Esprit is rear wheel drive, I've driven the Peugeot with the handbrake on, rear wheels slowly turning wondering why the car wasn't pulling away as normal (3l engine), the esprit will wear out the pads, but the wheels will not skid as a result.

Andy

Per the abs manual it could be an accumulator problem. It means the pressure is too low, either due to a defective accumulator not holding the pressure, or a pump not refilling (which in turn could be caused by a bad pressure switch, or deffective pump).