free hit
counters
How much road noise? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How much road noise do Esprits normally have? Mine seems quite loud but I haver also noticed thatthe drivers door seal seems to leak which indicates noise would also be getting in. I'm going to replace this but I'm still interested in how quite they are.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 3"Pipe and am not known as a driving Miss Daisy advocate and mine is quiter that my wifes golf, the Hyundai Exxcel Coupe and my Nissan Patrol Pickup!...

try all your door rubbers and sunroof rubbers as well as your boot and floor linings.

If you have sound suppressant it may be worth looking into getting a spray on lightweight sound deadner.

I am not sure what it would be called over in the UK but here in Oz they have a product called Rhino Coatings,

Try this link

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

Hope this helps

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Not as loud as my wife can get

rens

I had that with the Ex, hence she is now Ex :D

I have a 3"Pipe and am not known as a driving Miss Daisy advocate and mine is quiter that my wifes golf, the Hyundai Exxcel Coupe and my Nissan Patrol Pickup!...

try all your door rubbers and sunroof rubbers as well as your boot and floor linings.

If you have sound suppressant it may be worth looking into getting a spray on lightweight sound deadner.

I am not sure what it would be called over in the UK but here in Oz they have a product called Rhino Coatings,

Try this link

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

Hope this helps

Justin

yep I have heard of that there is a good one called Lizard skin if anyone is doing a complete rebuild.

My car was rebuilt by the PO from what I have found out and there are a few little bits that need sorting. Boot floor, Door seal etc. I'll check the seals today.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

My is not "loud" in general, more a bit noisy i would say. The sound of door sealing and the wedge-shape body in general produce to much unwanted noise . The car is silent in the inside , no engine noise on the motorway. Just this awful air stream noise is a bad point. Every time i try to adjust id a bit, the gap is on an other point of the frame. The Doors and windows are a bit to small for the boddy... .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I'm impressed as to how quite mine is, but, In the UK and Australia, we sit on the same side as the induction intake, now that can get loud when the turbo winds up, I keep my driver's window up at those times.

Roger :D

(mind you I suspect there is a substancial weight saving if you took out all sound deadning stuff)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

loud, it depends on street, but its sound of wheels and dumpers, very loud is on stone block paving road/strees, looks car gets scrumble.

other point is loud vs speed, over 200 in my car is sound of moving car trough air very loud, sound of whistling all around

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

Hi

Mine isn't that loud, but what you have to remember is in whiter everything contracts, so everything is a little loose. Mine makes more creeks and crones since winter set in, gererally wind noise isn't that bad, but tyres are my problem having the V8 wheels and being so wide. What I have done which Lotus don't seem to do it fit proper sound deadening panels to stuff, recently done the brake master cylinder ABS cover which being only thin plastc made an awful noise, now its quite as anything with a deadening panel fitted. You can buy them from most body repair factors, but they do vary in grades so you may have to spend some to get good ones.

Owen.

Loud in relation to what? It's much noisier than my accord and thats mainly wheel and tyre noise from the road. I also get wind noise from the door seal which has a small gap in it, but overall it's quieter than i thought it would be.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I understand what you mean Kimbers, its just that I would like to use it for long distance, and the loud noise would end up giving me a headache. I'm going to check the seals etc.

Amateurs built the Ark

Our Esprit is noisy compared to our Rover 75 and different compared to our Discovery. No engine on on the motorway, but tyres makes quite big noise. Some noise from passagers door. Perhaps needs new seals.

But bigger noise outside the car. Impossible to come home without waking up neigborhood :(

I tried to listen your cars last September, and i think ours is noisier. May be that PO has done some modifications to exhaust. Souds stupid, but I can't compare because no other V8 in here. :D

Good reason to drive UK next summer :D

Chris

Yours must be louder than mine then because I drove from Norwich to Stanstead to London and then to Stoneleigh all in one trip last year and it was superb. I became used to the road noise after about 20 mins and just relaxed and enjoyed the drive!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Mine gets quite noisy at speed, but not unbearably so. I only really noticed it when I had Dodgy in with me and conversation was a bit difficult at times. I've driven 200 miles to Simon350s's several times and 250 miles to Bibs's and arrived fresh as a daisy and ready to party each time. I was more tired the second time I drove to Bibs's in the Honda, although that was a nightmare journey so not really a fair comparison.

The biggest source of wind noise on mine is the huge gap between the sunroof glass and the side rail. At speed, it's a bit like blowing across the top of a bottle. The other main source of wind noise appears to be turbulence around the mirrors and the fact that the window frame is inset from the A frame at the base by nearly an inch.

All the other noises are just music.

One thing worth pointing out is that if the rubber gaiter on the gearshift is split or missing (a common fault), then you do get a lot of noise coming through the chassis. Like most rubber components, they seem overpriced (around

More speed, less haste

One thing worth pointing out is that if the rubber gaiter on the gearshift is split or missing (a common fault), then you do get a lot of noise coming through the chassis. Like most rubber components, they seem overpriced (around

Yep done that got a very heavy duty rubber gaitor of a transit for

Amateurs built the Ark