free hit
counters
turbo g car with s3 rear glass - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

turbo g car with s3 rear glass

Hi, I'm new to the forum and will be getting a g car sometime this year. i'd ideally like the turbo but i really don't like the rear window venetian blind treatment they have. is it possible to simply replace it with a rear window from an s3?

as you can see from this plan i'm not a purist and intend to eventually replace the lotus engine with something more modern (sorry if that's offensive!) so any info/advice would be appreciated...

cheers

simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Simon,

Regardless of purist angle, or not - the slats are there to help extracate all the extra heat generated by the turbo engine and I strongly suspect you'd have really bad heat problems if you swapped to rear glass... :(

Bear in mind that with hard driving the turbo manifold glows orange!! :D

As to alternative engines - others with more experience will be along shortly... I *really* like the look of Hilly's 4.2 Audi V8 conversion :D

Iain

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

IIRC, Someone tried to reproduce the slats in transparent Lexan - this would be a compromise...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Have to echo the guys thoughts here. This is not a cosmetic excercise. The slats draw the hot air from the engine bay. You will not be able to close this area in with a full screen without creating some serious risks.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

thanks for the replies! i've asked questions on bike forums that just disappear without trace, so it's great to find people with info to share.

does the venting draw air from the whole rear section of the car then? and do you still think that it'd be necessary with a non turbo engine swap?

thanks again,

simon

Yup - slats draw out air...

Low pressure zone created as car moves through the air - literally sucks air up and through the engine bay...

As to thermal output of other engines - may still be required if you slot something 'meaty' in there...

Like the Lexan idea...

Hmmm...

Bikes you say...

Care to share?

It's OK - you're in good company! B)

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Hi Simon,

dont worry about the purist thing, check out these Esprit project threads from Hilly and Punky and the mutants they created. We love em just the same.

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6152

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8126

cheers Alex

Oh and welcome to the esprit mad house B)

i'll be tracking my way through those other threads with great interest, thanks for passing them on.

bike is an aprilia falco, starting to get long in the tooth now (at 45000 miles it's the highest miler most dealers have seen) but i don't tell them it's on its second engine!

before i do any of my lotus project i have to build a large shed! but once that's done my plan is at this stage is to go for either the nissan 350z engine or maybe a mondeo v6. i'm glad there are other nutcases out there that think this is good fun!

simon

Fitting a glass tailgate is not a straight swap as the gas struts operate in a different way between the NA and Turbo.

I would be very careful about messing with (i.e. removing) the air flow generated by the louvred tailgate on a Turbo. Lotus went to a lot of effort with that to get rid of the heat generated by the Turbo installation.

The NA car have a habit of heat soaking when left after a run causing hot starting problems and that is without a red hot glowing turbo charger heating things up further.

It is probably do-able, you just need to put some thought into dealing with the extra heat by adding fans and air ducts.

If you are thinking of fitting a Mondeo V6 then defo look at Punky's thread as he has done just that.

The 350z engine is an interesting route, you will need to make a adaptor plate to mate up with a transaxle, but you'll need that for the Ford V6 as well.

You need to bare in mind that Punky's job was made easier by having an 'S'car, so he already had the outboard rear brakes and Renault gearbox and all the other stuff that goes with it like linkages and drive shafts.

With your 'G'car the Citroen gearbox won't last long with a more powerful engine hanging off it, so you need to fit something else a bit more beefy. You are then into a whole world of pain as you will have lost the inboard rear brakes (they are bolted to the Citroen box) etc so it is a much more involved project on the earlier cars.

Still, it would be good to see another conversion on here, and the forum should be able to help out with most stuff.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

thanks Hilly,

how does your car go for heat? i like the s3 for looks much more, but the extra air intakes on the turbo (and i'm not sure on this one but is the rear spoiler bigger?) attract me too. i was thinking of the clean look of the

i've been reading your posts about your car on the other forum with great interest. i know the gearbox will be an issue. in a gold plated world (which i don't unfortunately live in!) i would have gone with a quaiffe box, as i had been wracking my brain to come up with a engine/gearbox combo that i liked from another car. your plan knocks mine for a six (or eight??) though so i'm very interested in what it's like to live with. i haven't finished reading through your other posts yet so i need to do that first!

i've already read about punky's mondeo, that's why i included it in the list. so much reading, so little time!

thanks

simon

Is there a major airflow difference between the G and S cars? The SE has the glass back and doesn't overheat and has considerable more power, so should be generating more heat.

Regards,

Peter.

The slats are there to help extracate all the extra heat generated by the turbo engine and I strongly suspect you'd have really bad heat problems if you swapped to rear glass... :lol:

Bear in mind that with hard driving the turbo manifold glows orange!! :blush:

Just realised my error. The issue was to put a S3 glass back into a g turbo. Silly me.

Regards,

Peter.

Is there a major airflow difference between the G and S cars? The SE has the glass back and doesn't overheat and has considerable more power, so should be generating more heat.

Regards,

Peter.

how does your car go for heat?

The Mutant is running with no problems at the moment with regards to heat dissipation.

However you need to bare in mind that I have fitted a full width triple core radiator and it is currently winter time so the temperature differential across it is higher which will help with cooling.

So itmay give me grief when the weather warms up a bit.

I have also fitted fans to the engine bay vents, so any heated air within the engine bay is continually drawn out even when stationary.

Your plan knocks mine for a six (or eight??) though so i'm very interested in what it's like to live with.

thanks

simon

Going by the number of enquiries I am currently getting about the Mutant there will soon be no Lotus engined S3 left.

Perhaps I should capitalise on this and start selling conversion kits !!!!

As far as I am concerned (and seeing as no one else has driven it yet, except for my girlfriend and she never went over 40mph, that is all ther is to go on) it is now much better than when the Lotus engine was fitted.

It is quieter and smoother at idle, nice and loud when giving it some welly and is plenty fast enough as it has already worn out a set of rear tyres.

The Audi gearbox has a much better shift action, and being a 6 speed, good on the motorway as well.

At the moment I haven't found a downside except for the conversion cost, the large amount of effort involved to complete it and the high volume of query emails I am currently replying to ..............

Hilly

Edited by hilly

The SE glass does have a large gap to pull the air through however it could offer a comprimise for the effect you may be after.

Would take some work though as you would probably have to graft the SE glass into a g-car hatch as I think the dimensions are slightly different between the two hatches, could you make a SE hatch fit an S3?

Hilly as for the conversion kits I think you could be onto something a few things you could even split out on there own I am sure for example there would be a demand for the rear brake conversion to remove the inboard brakes. Team up with Troy or someone and you could offer a complete conversion with Troy doing the conversion and you supplying the custom parts etc certainly possabilities

After removing ALL engine surrounds and covers incl. removal of the 'tray' under the louvers, there doesn't appear to be any significant airflow in or out of the engine bay! It seems to be totally stagnant. Drops of water on the edge of the louvers stay right where they are @ speed. It is not what I expected!

Then again what about the S1 and S2 cars? They don't have any method of venting.

Lee

Then again what about the S1 and S2 cars? They don't have any method of venting.

Lee

The S2 does have additional engine venting.

S1s don't and that is why they had over heating issues as the radiator was pretty small as well.

Hilly

well i finally finished the your thread on the other forum (lucky it's a quiet work day!). i'd certainly be interested if you ever decided to either pass on your hard earnt knowlege or fabricate parts for sale to others wanting to follow in your footsteps!

more planning for me, and must get on with building the large shed to avoid the troubles you had with the weather! i'm reasonably local (woking) and would love to see/hear the car sometime, although having read the story i can see you get plenty of people emailing their interest.

i've also got no idea what sort of process you have to go through to register/insure something like this; i saw it passed the mot fine so they clearly aren't worried, but i reckon the insurance companies wouldn't miss you...

cheers and well done

simon