free hit
counters
Normal life of the V8 before rebuild - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chelsea Martyn

Normal life of the V8 before rebuild

Guest Chelsea Martyn

How many miles has your V8 done on the original build?

You can add if it's a Loctite sealed or Hylomar sealed (if known)

I can't edit the Poll question so ignore that bit

Edited by Paul C

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To put it into perspective, how about the same categories (age and mileage) for cars that haven't had a rebuild?

Martyn - I think the main problem with this was Lotus could never pinpoint the fault occuring on a particular engine and at a particular time. They put it down to the sealant between the liner and the block but some engines never failed, and those that did went from a wide range of milage. The sealant was changed and subsiquently no faults were reported after about 1999 (with some very small exceptions iirc).

For the record mine was a 97 and went about 27,000 miles which Lotus paid for to do at Hethel.

facebook = [email protected]

Mine's a 98, did 55k miles before i had a a rebuild that was down to leaking liners, however over the preceeding 10k miles i'd had numerous problems with sticking waste gates so there is a chance that at some point i'd had excessive boost (although at the time i really was trying to take it easy... honest!) ie had i not had those problems it may not have failed.

My 99 V8SE was losing coolant for some eighteen months or so up to a litre every 200 miles. The block was pressure-tested by a Lotus agent (JCT Leeds) three times and each time the result was negative.

A dramatic head gasket failure - instantaneous, clouds of steam - at a busy roundabout in Chesterfield at 33,000 miles resulted in an exchange rebuilt engine from Lotus, at no cost.

The warranty period had ended but because a problem had been reported on three occasions within that period, and that I had recorded every drop of coolant I added over the eighteen-month period, Lotus underwrote the replacement. The dealings I had with the factory were exemplary. The replacement was fitted at Gordon Lamb in Sheffield and I have since done another 42,000 miles.

I have experienced two sticking waste-gates: each time, it's been the left hand side turbo.

Incidentally, at the time of writing - touch wood - no more coolant losses have occurred.

Lotus know why but can't say or at least they have a pretty good idea. I can't publish anything in words but I've heard it from some tech guys.

If Lotus did admit to anything can you imagine what liability claims they would have?

Mine was done at 21K in 2003. Lotus say that as late as mid 2000, V8 engines had the old sealant. Also even if you buy a car later than this, how do you know that it wasn't sitting in a compound for 2-3 years?

It's a subject that's been covered time and time again. It's never going to be resolved IMO

=

Edited by superdavelotus

Sticking/failing wastgates are very common with V8's. Lotus charge

That's the capsule or actuator. The wategate flap can be unseized insitu. People will tell you otherwise but I had mine freed on my 4 pot by PNM Engineering for buttons. They needed the car for two days but only charged me 2-3 hours labour. The bascially took the exhaust off and drowned the whole area with fine pentrating oil and left for few hours then repeated the process many times until it was freed. They may have used heat at some point. It never seized again!

25,490 miles on the original build me thinks unless when it comes apart and it is already hylomar sealed will let you know!!

rebuilt due to head gasket failure (minor)

regards rob

25,490 miles on the original build me thinks unless when it comes apart and it is already hylomar sealed will let you know!!

rebuilt due to head gasket failure (minor)

regards rob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm on 32k on the original build. however, that will change once I getthese frged pistons and con rods.. :) Higher boost here I come!!! B)

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Is this for real? If I buy a V8 Esprit should I expect to pay for an engine rebuild at 40K miles or less? And replace the left wastegate every 10K miles?

I thought I was in the market for a 98-99 but you guys are scaring me out of it -

You guys are a bunch of Hoes.  3 weeks and no response.  What a helpful forum -

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry m8 it might be that your thread ust got lost in a flurry of activity one night so to answer your question about being scared of venturing into V8 territory. Dont Be.

While the liner issue is a commonly raised point here the answer to wether you should buy or not is a simple one buy if its what you want.

However bear in mind that the points raised within the threads are real occurences and therefore if you dont do your homework right you can end up spending thousands to give you an example of costs of a V8 when you dont get it exactly right.

1x starter motor =

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DoNotFeedTroll.jpg

Marcus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are out slaving for the funds to pay for our toys. (So, in that sense we are Hoes) However, your question was not terribly serious, so probably no one thought you were expecting a response. Clearly what you have read already would indcate that if you choose a Lotus you need to be prepared for the potential of an expensive failure on a car with relatively few miles. No one here will claim that Lotus is the cheap or reliable option--Or that all engines will require a rebuild at 40k. The purpose of this thread was to see how many owners did need a rebuild and at what interval. I don't think that anyone here was suggesting replacement of wastegates as a maintenance item. Particularly on one side as you suggest. Sticking wastegates can happen to nearly any turbo car. This is a consequence of infrequent use. It is not terribly difficult to check the wastegates manualy at a regular interval to prevent engine damage. Probably a 20 minute effort tops. Frame your question more clearly and we will be more likely to give you a useful response. However, this will have little impact on our likelyhood to engage in prostitution. But that is just me.

Regards,

Rod

Rod

98 Esprit V8

Dynamic Racing Turbos

Water Injection

Factory Red ECU

3 bar MAP piggyback

Straight-through exhaust

TurboXS BOVs

Blitz I-color boost control + Wide-band AFR

Porsche/Getrag G50/52 Transmission (...coming soon someday)

Aaron,

In full defence of the Esprit forum, it is very rare to ever see your sort of comment. If you had bothered to click the link called 'search' at the top of the page you would have found masses of information relating to every possible question realting to the Esprit. The question you asked has been covered several times already with some very indepth responses. Given that the Esprit is a hand built low volume super car and you appear to find it offensive that you havent had the answers you want handed to you on a plate, Im not sure Esprit ownership is really going to be for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll add my tale of engine woe. This should be a rare event but I am curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this type of failure.

I have a '97 V8, originally a US market car adapted to Canadian regulations. About 18 months ago the engine grenaded with about 19k miles on the clock (previous owner didn't drive it much). The shaft that turns the cam belts suffered a sudden, and complete, bearing failure. In addition to dropping bits of bearing in the sump, the right cam belt lost tension and stopped turning. Four pistons each hit four valves.

Lotus replaced the engine, so I was happy with that. Actually, they replaced it twice as the first replacement wouldn't turn over after the dealer put it in the car. All is fine now with the replacement. However, if it fails again within 20k mi. I might be measuring the engine bay for a Chevy small block.

Have there been many known failures like this?

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

Can't find the right button....!

Mine's a 99, original build with 43000 on the clock.

AEG-banner.jpg

Indeed Wayne you are right. Mine is in for rebuild at the moment, but I wouldn't describe it up to that point as being unreliable. Far from it. And the cost of problems is to be expected with twice the amount of cylinders. I think the lack of knowledge stems from the fact that info is built up over a number of years and with a number of problems, and for the V8 that is not the largest data set. I used to own a Fiat Coupe 20VT, and it took a number of years of issues for that forum to build up a knowledge of common problems (together with the dedicated independants much better than the dealer network). I think V8 owners should never assume the answer is here, but should make sure and post as much comment on problems when possible to start building that database up. It is only when things are posted a large number of times that the overall picture starts to emerge.

Kato then sums it up nicely into one resource for us :(

Phil B

Edited by Phil_B

I have almost 20,000 miles on my 2001. So far no major engine probelms and the clutch still seems to work fine. But I do the service as recommended on the owner's manual and the dealer performs all service (service is done usually one a year or every 6000 miles).

I still belive you need to drive the car... if you let them sit and don't drive them, then you have problems.... but this is just my opinion.

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I agree with that. Mine is used 2-3 times a week all year round, and that is what has kept it reliable (up to now). Service as per schedule. Hmm. I think I shall be changing the Oil a bit more from now on, and certainly checking the water every day :(

Phil B