free hit
counters
Ready to Blow up a car repair shop - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Ready to Blow up a car repair shop

Recently something flew up off the road and whacked my cvboot loose from the hub . . . I tried to get it back on, I am not a novice mechanic, I have changed the clutch, adjusted timing belt, etc . . . on this car and many many others for years. I have even worked on jaguar's and some ferrari's that I own, that is a right of passage . . . anyway. I took the esprit into the lotus dealer, and THEY CANNOT GET THE BOOT BACK ON THE HUB !!!!. They want me to pay to remove the half shaft and install a new one . . .WTH!!!!!! I was livid and furious . . . I mean that is ridiculous, I still have the 2 metal straps that hold the boot on and the boot is fine, it is tight, not disformed . . . what a rip off . . . they are talking $800 in labor and parts . . . crazy . . . any tips . . .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you have some fine sheet metal then use that, else use some firm plastic sheet, form it into a cone, tape it in place and slide the boot along it onto the hub.

You may need 4 hands to do the job, two to hold the cone, 2 to slide the boot along the cone.

Andy

good idea . . . i found some discontinued tools on ebay for the job, but the fact that they are not made anymore was discouraging. I also thought about forming some strong metal rod into a circle bigger than the hub and then stretching the boot over the circle, putting it over the hub, and then removing the circle wire . . .just a pain . . . cannot beleive it is this big a deal.

This any good?

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=5323

I just did a google for CV boot tool

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I would stick with your original thoughts for sure mate, of course fix the boot, but more importantly, blow up that repair shop or at least name and shame it to worn the rest of us...

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

I was in atlanta . . . . that is all i will say . . .got home yesterday and just friggin stayed out there with brake tools, a plastic cut up funnel, a coat hanger shapped in a u shape and will power and got it . . . .beast . . . and I didnt charge myself at all . . .