free hit
counters
brembo adaptor - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Xsesiv

brembo adaptor

hello,

Im interested to install brembo calipers to rear wheels, but I want to know if exist some adapter to install or need to make a new one?, I attached a picture with the 2 bolts for the posible adapter,

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Greetings,Albino.

post-407-1200406522.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't bolt anything there.. Those bolts are for the crossmember. and I don't think a caliper bracket would go under those bolts and leave enough material to be strong enough.

If you want better rear brakes you are better off replicating the setup on the sport 350.

They use a leading 4 pot caliper, and the standard rear caliper just for the handbrake. (I think.. can't find a picture)

The 350 just has the brembo handbrake caliper fitted at the rear as per all later V8's.Nothing special there.

It does have bigger vented discs with seperate bells though,same as 2002 on V8's I think.

I have seen a conversion where someone has put the front sport 350 AP calipers on the back keeping the handbrake caliper seperate.Then using 6 pot sup front.

Rich

^^ yep, that's Mike Sek's car (and kato's mate with the other white 350.. ) both conversions done by Mike Haines racing IIRC.

Albino: If you are running brembos, then the obvious choice for an upgrade is to go the 350 AP Racing setup. This keeps your existing rear caliper but with larger discs, and replaces your front brembo caliper with a larger AP racing 4 pot again with larger (and wider) discs. The difference between the two is HUGE - i had a v8-gt with brembos - i ran several different sort of pad but nothing really got me the braking i wanted. i upgraded to 350 spec brakes eventually - this was the best mod i ever did to the car.. awesome braking, not cheap but really well worth the money.

Best thing with this conversion - the parts are all bolt-on off-the-shelf items from lotus (or a few aftermarket suppliers too who may be cheaper). Its also something developed by lotus - so no problems with front/rear brake bias etc.

thanks a lot to all, I apreciate it, I will try upgrade to AP brakes,

Greetings,albino.

If there are any left at the factory I should be able to get you over

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Does anyone know what the equivalent caliper is direct from AP Racing? Or the piston sizes?

Not that it is particularly relevant, but I used the radius arm bolt to mount the bracket for my rear calipers.

I had to use longer bolts admittedly, but it is plenty strong enough

IMG_0798750x562.jpg

IMG_0799750x562.jpg

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

hello,

Im interested to install brembo calipers to rear wheels, but I want to know if exist some adapter to install or need to make a new one?, I attached a picture with the 2 bolts for the posible adapter,

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Greetings,Albino.

post-407-1200406522.jpg

Actually that's exactly what the Sport 300 and X180-R caliper bolts to...

X180_R_suspension.sized.jpg

ignore the red arrow.

The SPort 300 has leading radial mounted AP Racing calipers, with a bracket bolted to where the hub carrier gets bolted to the trailing arm.

Of course those are 4 piston calipers with no provision for parking, so they mounted a parking caliper in the trailing position where the normal Esprit brake caliper is mounted.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

That is the type of bracket I wanted to make for mine, but the built-in handbrake mechanism on the back of the Hispec calipers was too deep to allow them to fit in that position, hence I rotated the caliper a bit round.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

This is what I'm doing.

P7070001.sized.jpg

P1180303.sized.jpg

And then I'm either using the Lotus Brembo rear brake as a parking caliper.

P7070013.sized.jpg

Or the Wilwood Mechanical spot caliper.

P7070024.sized.jpg

You can see my original Esprit SE front (Toyota) rotor compared to my new rotor...

P2080309.sized.jpg

Just barely fits in the front 17" AWI Esprit V8 wheel.

P1180304.sized.jpg

The front calipers will be trailing mounted just like all Esprits, the caliper and rotor are a bit bigger than the Sport 300 and X180-R at 328mmx35mm

And the rear calipers are mounted leading, as in the Sport 300 and X180-R, opposite of all other Esprit SE's-V8. They are 313mmx25.4mm.

And I'll have parking calipers mounted like the Sport 300 and X180-R parking calipers, about the same as all other Esprits rear caliper.

It'll be just like the exploded schematic above.

The calipers are very light aluminum with titanium vented pistons.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis,

Can you tell us a it more about the spec of the calipers - are they standard calipers off a different car (Skyline R32??)? Same size front and rear?

As an alternative to the Wilwood spot caliper HiSpec now do a very small, light handbrake spot caliper which uses spacers to fit any thickness rotor....

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/calipers/sva_spot.htm

My calipers are full race, not from a street car.

They are NASCAR intermediate, heavy duty, spec.

The fronts are radial mount 4piston monoblock aluminum ~3kg with vented (air cooled) titanium pistons. They use a 26mm thick pad, on each side... The rotors are 328mm x 35mm, slotted, with many spiral cooling vanes...

The rear are two piece aluminum calipers (bolted) with 4 vented titanium pistons each (no parking feature), also radial mount. The rears have much smaller pistons and pads than the fronts. The rear rotors are 313mm x 25.4mm and are very light, vented with pillars, instead of spiral or radial vanes.

It is basically fairly similar to the Sport300 and X180-R setup, though my front rotor is a little larger, and the rear a little larger and a little thinner IIRC.

That Hispec spot caliper looks very similar to the Wilwood parking spot caliper.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE