free hit
counters
Speedo is too fast - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbers

Speedo is too fast

My speedo is running about 12 mph out (too fast). Will it make me clock up miles quicker than i should be? Is it a simple fix or could it be a new speedo required?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
My speedo is running about 12 mph out (too fast). Will it make me clock up miles quicker than i should be? Is it a simple fix or could it be a new speedo required?

I alwasy new these were fast cars..

J

Are you checking with a GPS? How fast were you going, 150mph or 15mph when you checked?

If it's overreading then it will increase your mileage as the odometer is part of the speedo. You can send them off to be reconditioned fairly cheaply.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Measured by my GPS, and the speedo's and GPS of the cars i was

driving with, i can confirm that at 160mph my SE's speedo shows

only 140mph.

The GPS shows correct speed at this point.

I'm not bothered, but as i know the margin is there, i will do a speedo

measured 65mph when passing motorway speed cameras, just in case.

:)

Have always figured that the speedo and especially the fuel guage, were

there as guides. One to be confirmed by the flashing blue light behind you,

and the other confirmed by a long walk...

:)

The speedo gauges are made to run slightly fast, they cannot be installed legally if they run slow, but can run fast (think it's 10%), so manufacturers normally plump for somewhere between those limits.

It's strange as yours is electronic isn't it? pick-up on the wheels ,same ones as feed the ECU, so you'd have thought it wouldn't have gone out of calibration.

Anything that slows you down can't be too bad.

Interesting thread. My speedo broke on a long trip a while ago - and I took it out and refurbished it myself.

The flywheel was floating loose in the body of the unit so a bit of work and back it went.

At that point I was bombing along not doing any miles on the clock - so the speedo and odo must be totally linked.

As an aside, now its about 2mph or thereabout over all the time compared to the bosses GPS. More interesting is comparing the speedo value, GPS value and wheel speed sensor through Freescan.

I'm guessing the speed sensor giving its data to the ECU is the most accurate? Most modern cars, I'm told, use the wheel sensor to generate their odo readings. Also how accurate are the GPS units?

Nope, a while Back me and James (tenths) were hooning together and I asked him what speed he was doing. His speedo showed 80, his GPS showed 76 and my speedo showed 92. It wayyyyy out.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Check the Tyres presurres too :

Y.Hotta

Mine is pretty far out too - at 120gps is reads about 130 on the board (KMH of course).

Not sure about the miles - I guess you could sort it through SatNav and it should tell you the projected distance, hit your trip reset and off you go and compare.

The other way is through freescan as that measures road speed.

Paul your's is cable driven so it's little wonder it's a way out.

I was going to have the dash off at some point and install some extras and digital dials (replace the clock with digital speedo readout) and check the pulses becuase I wanted to fwd the speedo on mine to the 'real' mileage (mine had a speedo change at 18,000) but it's one of those things again on the list of things to do !

facebook = [email protected]