free hit
counters
Doors locking themselves - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi Folks,

Well...I was planning to go for a run this afternoon with the laptop hooked up and get a freescan log (I suspect my chargecooler is not working very well). Hooked up laptop in passenger footwell, closed passenger door, round to driver's door, LOCKED! Back to passenger door, LOCKED. Guess where the keys were... :)

One phone call to the AA and the nice man got the door open in about 90 seconds..scary how easy it is do.

After blethering with him for a while (curiously he was more intrigued by my Excel than the Esprit) it was starting to get dark so I have not really investigated the problem very far yet. However a couple of trial door closes (with the window open!) indicate that the doors are locking whenever they are closed. They still unlock OK with the key but immediately lock when closed. I'll have a better look tomorrow but I wondered if this is something that anyone on here has encountered before? I had a search on the technical forum but most posts seem to relate to remote controlled central locking problems.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - Mine did this when the car had been left for a few weeks. I sorted it by taking the door skins off and lithium greasing the door handle rods and anything else that looked like it should move (except the glass obviously).

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...rremovenew.html

Don't ask me why this worked but it did.

Yes, do what Charlie has suggested, it's quite common for this to happen when not in use.

You may also need to staigthen/bend a rod according to the movement to get it working again.

It's either friction or a bend rod causing it the lock not to fully unlock and then tripping the microswitch to lock it again.

Dave Walters

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a look behind the door cards tomorrow...and get a spare key cut as well!

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

i dont ve as a problem i ve it wittingly on new alarm, bcs on my other cars i ve it automatics locking after 60sec, so i ve many times forgot lock lotus before:))))

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

Funny, my pasenger door does not always look from the remote.

Roger (I'm single, maybe I live in hope)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Just a quick update...

I'm feeling even dafter now. After much experimenting it turns out that I must have simply knocked the inside door locking lever when I got out of the car. It only has to be slightly moved away from the 'unlock' position for the door to lock when you next move the outside handle.

Still a worthwhile excercise to grease everything though. Spare key purchased today as well!

How did he have to get in? I have to do this alot as im an AA man but i've never had to do it ion an esprit. I've looked on my one but it looks a right pain to get in. Does yours have the later GM door handles?

Dave,

No, as far as I know my SE has the same locks as yours. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to describe how to break into an Esprit on the forum...never know who's reading it! I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

How did he have to get in? I have to do this alot as im an AA man but i've never had to do it ion an esprit. I've looked on my one but it looks a right pain to get in. Does yours have the later GM door handles?

Hi Dave,

I've tried to send you a couple of PM's but it doesn't look like they are going! Sorry, I haven't used the forum much (yet!) and I must be doing something wrong in the messenger bit.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the esprits locked after 30 secs or so like the modern cars?? I turned on my car and shut the door as i usually wait for five to ten mins for the engine oil to heat up. The problem i had was, the day before my engine started over heating and coolant flying out of the back. I think i have a problem with fuse, sensor or pump. Anyway, as i stood there wondering how to get into the car, the temperature started rising. Window or door lock.....after a quick decision i put a screwdriver through the door lock. Although the lock didn't break it triggered some electric thing which opened the door.