free hit
counters
My first bugs have come to the surface - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My first bugs have come to the surface

Hi All,

had to happen, my first two technical faults/wear and tear failures

1) the digital odometer (mileage bit) has stopped working.

So am I looking at dashboard pod removal to fiddle with connections etc?

2) Soaked carpet by handbrake

I need to investigate further to see if i can find a source and so will be posting an update, but any obvious seals to look for please shout.

you could throw in the rear deck lid drains but thats been on the cards a while. oh hum, I joined the bugbear esprit club now.

Alex

PS: Shell optimax at

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

had to happen, my first two technical faults/wear and tear failures

1) the digital odometer (mileage bit) has stopped working.

So am I looking at dashboard pod removal to fiddle with connections etc?

2) Soaked carpet by handbrake

1. The digital odometer's display does go blank or faint if it has been subject to condensation, so will resume with a good drying and warming of the interior - I've had this myself in the past.

2. Soaked carpet by the handbrake sounds like a leaky door seal and some really hard rain, or maybe parking it differently in this weather.

Phil

98GT3

Have you had the doorpanel off recently? The weather proofing panels might not be sealing properly either.

Failing that, check the sunroof seal (and the header rail trim for dampness) and the tongues. Tools needed: a hosepipe and a volunteer!

As suggested by Phil, the speedo digi display doesn't like the damp. It only has one signal input (along with a pos/neg) so if that had become disconnected , neither the digi display or the needle would work. Fingers crossed it will be happy again once warm. (it'll still be storing up the mileage, though)

A garage would fix these two problems. Not a service centre, but a building next to the house where one can store cars overnight! :P

Welcome to the club Alex. There's no need to think you're on a slippery slope though.

After you've checked the door & sunroof seals, if you've still not located the leak, you might have the same problem I had on another car. I'm not sure if this applies to the Esprit, and the manual's not much help, but there was a cavity at the base of the windscreen between the passenger cell and the bonnet wall, where water from the screen was supposed to drain away. At the bottom of this cavity were drainage holes which had become blocked with leaf debris. This caused the cavity to fill up so that water came into the cabin via the holes in the front bulkhead for cables, heating ducts etc.

More speed, less haste

Alex

Sprinkle talcum powder all over the possible routes inside for the water, shut the car, as Graham said run a hose over the outside and then have a look afterwards. If you have a leak it will leave an easily spotted trail in the talcum powder. The excess vacuums out easily with a hoover.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

There are no problems - only solutions to problems.

Welcome to the world of Esprit ownership.

Give your baby what she needs.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Got in mine today to pump the clutch checking for leaks and the seat was squelchy, there was also water around the seatbelt slots in the bulkhead and on the boot release lever. The daily's also damp. Frankly, I reckon that with the sort of weather we've been having this last month, most cars left outside would struggle. Alternating between torrential, horizontal rain and sharp frost is bound to test the seals. It only takes a tiny, tiny leak and the water can get sucked through by capillary action at a surprising rate.

Does anyone have a part number for these seals which are more suited to the recent conditions?

800_seals.jpg

More speed, less haste

One more to add to your collection Alex.

When you flash your headlights, I think they're supposed to glow! The pods popped up, but the lights stayed off. Perhaps the relay shifted by 4mm too. :cry:

More speed, less haste

I have that - the lights comes on but goes out before the pods come up. What you need to do is hold the stalk back until you see the lights up, then release. The dalay is rubbish - I usually use the button on the dash to raise the lights when flashing at people.

facebook = [email protected]

Alex, a little birdie told me that your wet carpet was on eof 2 things...incontinence or you left the window open a little bit! :whistle:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Last time I checked I am out of nappies and dont have need for them, nope the widow was shut, still baffeled by where the water came from and dont all shout out " the sky you fool".

As for holding your stalk for longer for better effect Dan, its because us GT3 men can!! LOL

Last time I checked I am out of nappies and dont have need for them, nope the widow was shut, still baffeled by where the water came from and dont all shout out " the sky you fool".

As for holding your stalk for longer for better effect Dan, its because us GT3 men can!! LOL

Alex can you tell stalk (STORK) from splutter (BUTTER) :whistle:

logo_01-2.jpg