free hit
counters
Heater control problem - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jcbjs 260

Heater control problem

After a machanic made a total f**k up of connecting the heater controls could anybody advise me how to rewire the switch that controls the air flap. The switch has 5 terminals lettered the following M-C-B-H-L. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by jcbjs 260

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

After sorting this problem can someone please advise me when the stepper motor(air flap control) runs at each of the 4 positions of the control switch. As far as I can see the motor should not turn more than 60 degrees, can someone confirm. My motor wants to turn for far to long (almost 360 degrees) has anybody any idea what might be wrong? Any advise greatly appreciated.

The stepper motor sorts itself out somehow; I know what you mean it looks like it will spin for England, but when you fit it up it works in the 4 positions. I nearly binned my old one because of that, but believe me a new one works just the same, so now it's a spare.

PS actually it's all flooding back now (been a year or 2), the flap only moves 2 positions IIRC; yep a heavy and expensive little motor just to open and close a flap 12 inches away from the switch, very un-Chapmanlike!

Edited by britten_mark

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The stepper motor sorts itself out somehow; I know what you mean it looks like it will spin for England, but when you fit it up it works in the 4 positions. I nearly binned my old one because of that, but believe me a new one works just the same, so now it's a spare.

PS actually it's all flooding back now (been a year or 2), the flap only moves 2 positions IIRC; yep a heavy and expensive little motor just to open and close a flap 12 inches away from the switch, very un-Chapmanlike!

First I would like to thank you Mark for for your reply. I have been in contact with lotus technical (who have been very helpful) and they say the problem is most lightly the HVAC MODULE as this controls the stepper motor. Are you sure that yours has sorted itself out and is not just running inside the lever. Also if it is correct how long did it take for it to sort itself out? Thanks again for your response.

Edited by jcbjs 260

Sorry getting a bit confused here. What exactly are the symptoms/problem?

On mine the problem was I got no heat to my feet, on investigation the little stepper motor controlling the distribution flap had burned out. I rather prematurely ordered a new one while Jono repaired my old one.

I wrongly thought the old one was still bust when I wired it up (just loosely, didn't mount it in position) as it wanted to spin through 360 when I turned the switch. I did the same test with the new motor and it did the same, so thus presumed they all do that when loose. Once mounted properly and connected to the flap rod, and despite having 4 settings on the switch, the motor is only open or closed ie 2 positions. When I said it sorted itself out I meant that it found its own position, I thought I had cocked it up completely allowing it to spin free.

I don't think the HVAC does anything with the stepper motor, just the distribution switch

My stepper motor does the 360 the same as yours but also does this even it is mounted and connected. It turns the lever until it hits the stops and then the motor spins inside the lever until it has travelled its distance. I don't know what is causing it to turn so far but the guys at lotus technical told me it is most lightly to be the hvac module. Just trying for some advise before I buy the wrong component. It is possible that your motor is not switching off when it hits the stops therefore causing it to burn out. I have just removed the hvac unit from my car but visually see nothing wrong with it ( one real %&&^ a job to do and 10 times worse to replace) I am really struggling to sort this problem out so see no choice but to try a new hvac. Makes it worse when I have just payed someone to create this problem . Anyway thanks for your interest and if I get this sorted I'll let you know what was wrong

So something should sense an excess load on the motor as the flap closes and stop it from turning - would that not be something inside the stepper motor itself??

Knowing that mine was tosh enough to give up after 40k gentle miles I'd be suspicious. If you eventually diagnose it's this part it's made by Diavia (maybe the whole HVAC is??) and I have the part number written down somewhere.