free hit
counters
steam cleaning engine - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

steam cleaning engine

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yep......... don't!!!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

My mechanic bloke regularly steam cleans engine bays once he's finished, and I was surprised when he did Lottie after her head overhaul.

Seems that if you steer WELL clear of electricals (inc. the alternator) you should be OK - but a lot of people recommend against it!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

get some GUNKor get some virosol, spray it on with a plant sprayer and leave to soak, agetate the ingrained parts with a paint brush, and then wash off with a gentle hose.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

bigsi wrote summink bout dis can't find it though.

wrap electricky bits in plastic i think and as above really.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

if your going to steam clean then you can use one of the steam cleaners you see advertised on tv but get one with a really good blast of pressure not one of the industrial ones as they spray water also. best thing is, to get a load of marine clean from frosts and with the squeezy bottle spray a load of it on the parts to be cleaned, let it soak in for a while than clean of, i like to use some cheap paintbrushes and really get it in there then clean off. another cleaner is the autoglym engine degreaser you can get 1litre spray bottles for about

Hi,

I did my gearbox with white spirits, then some cheap car shampoo from poundland, neat that is, then washed it off gently with water, just going over the bad bits again. I put loads of newspaper under the car to catch the dripping.

Before

DSCF9992_1.jpg

After

DSCF0004_1.jpg

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Si you want a weekend job?

Oh check out them cam covers (see plan bigsi) - that was El Bow Degreaser and thinking what the f*** when Troy and Little Si said "Hey Rog there's 8 of them on Bigsi's car - i'll just get em..."

Rog - realising there must be a couple of V8's somewhere all too late..."You're jokin". Si/Troy, "Yeah stop scrubbing them bits now Rog"a013.jpg

Who needs STEAM???

Oh the fun we had - pool anyone???

Rog

Edited by SE Owner :-D

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Steam cleaning,...., Steffen at R&B told me that he stuffes great loads of cleenex down the sparkplug tunnels, once you get moisture there bad luck....

Then he made cardboarg side walls to prevent the spraying of the windows and electrics compartments.

Have an Air-compressor ready to blast off any excess moisture.....

Good luck !

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

I high-pressure water blasted my engine bay once, sick of getting covered in grim etc.

Unfortunately shot water down the fuel pump air vent pipe and rusted out the thing....oooops!

I note that Bibs got a water-blaster toy for Christmas...wot's that for??

Iain

Personally - unless one of the oil hoses has burst everything all over the place in there I would leave it be.

I bought a little steam detailer - like throwing beans at a challenger tank, did absolutly NOTHING.

Your friend is hard graft and detergents but I also found the car picks up road dirt so quickly there was little point.

I also jet washed the gearbox, waste of time, within 4000 miles it's pretty much back to square 1.

The ONLY thing I would recomend is POR-15 paint or some kind of paint on the engine to produce a gloss finish, 1 wipe with a damp cloth cleans the car, it's amazing. Because the surface is so smooth the dirt has nothing to grind into.

facebook = [email protected]

Especially watch the pressure you hit any of the parts originally painted by Lotus (valve covers, chargecoolers, and the plenum)...a good pressure washer will take paint right off...so if you are going to hit painted surfaces hit it at a lower pressure. You don't want to create another project where you're repainting engine components. :)

Edited by Paul93Lotus

I jetwash te engine on my cars every time I wash them...

Modern cars are very good on the electrical side of things so o need to worry too much.

The Esprit will also be fine, just keep direct pressure off electronic components on older cars and se a good detergent if its real bad.

Simon

Chunky Lover