free hit
counters
In-Car DVD Players with flip-up screen - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

In-Car DVD Players with flip-up screen

Hi All,

I've been investigating various In-Car DVD players mainly so I can add a rear-view camera and also a bluetooth phone connection without making the interior of the car look like an accessory store !!!. The main obstacles are the flip up screen hitting the slight binacle overhang and getting caught up with the gear stick. I know Rob (SwissV8) has Pioneer unit in his car, but of course his has a later dash etc... The main issue seems to be around the gear lever the slight overhang of the binacle will probably only result in the screen maybe ending up slightly tilted, which all of the units allow for anyway. So far I've ruled out Kenwood units as the mechanisim comes out too far and extends downward as well at the ends other than that the Alpine D105R maybe possible or the Pioneer P5900. My main question is has anyone fitted a system sucessfuly and what make model was it otherwise I'm going to have to resort to one of the units with the display mounted in the front panel which will obviously give a much smaller picture. Any ideas gratefuly received.

Martyn :ermm:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello martyn. i will be looking at fitting one on friday morning (nephew has one out of his car that ended on its roof) not sure of the model yet i will pm you and let you know how it goes as i will be looking for a quick fit with no hassels and dont want to start messing around with the s4 too much dvd player needs to fit car not the other way around. hard to watch a film at 130+

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Havent got any pictures anymore but what I did was to take the centre console out and move the heater controls down 1 space.

That gives you a double DIN which you can use to fit a screen into.

Looked good but way too shiney for inside the car, at that angle you can hardly see it.

Other than that be creative - use a broken camcorder's (eBay) flip out screen and put that into the sun visor B)

You can also get LCD rear views - ideal for the Esprit becuase you can see the sum of naff all out of them anyway - fit 2 cameras and also get better rear view as well !

Loadsa posibilities to be had.

facebook = [email protected]

Like this one:

5151_1_b.JPG

I have mounted a fixed screen just above the centre console due to better visibility...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

hello martyn. i will be looking at fitting one on friday morning (nephew has one out of his car that ended on its roof) not sure of the model yet i will pm you and let you know how it goes as i will be looking for a quick fit with no hassels and dont want to start messing around with the s4 too much dvd player needs to fit car not the other way around. hard to watch a film at 130+

all the best

Hi Peter,

Would be very interested in how you get on as I guess your dash is similar to mine. As Jon has sugested you can go down the double DIN route there's an install on LEW here but I don't really fancy cutting the car about that much. I did look at the clip on mirror monitors but thought they might look a bit messy. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Martyn :ermm:

Like this you mean..

I meddled with the metal cage thing to achieve the different location for the DVD Player, but it should fit a standard Stevens without the modification.

Yes thats what I'm looking to achieve Glyn :yes . I see you've raised the mounting position up a little which must help with clearance around the gear lever. I looks like Pioneer is becoming a common theme and I've prety much come to the conclusion this is the only make that's going to fit without loads of hassle. I've noticed in the manual for the Pioneer P5900 that once the screen has popped out there's and option of sliding the mechanisim forward and backward as well as the normal tilt function, does yours do this and are there any steps in between or is it just all the way forward and all the way back ?

Thanks

Martyn :(

THIS ONE fit to Stevens i ve tryed, but finally i ve give to my other car, i think that in lotus is no time to watch movies, and sec is very noisy :)

Thanks for the info Sky. Your unit looks very similar to the Pioneer unit I've been looking at. Did you have any problems with your hand hitting the front of the screen when you changed up into third and fifth gear at all ?.

Thanks

Martyn :(

Lotus have recently used a Kenwood KVT627 in an Esprit and it's got enough clearance to stay away from the centre console and leaves room for gear changes too.

6_resize.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Martyn

What model camera are you going to connect to the player for the reverse parking?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Hey Chris,

I added a sub in the passenger footwell. An 8" sub, that can be removed easily if needed. It was custom molded to fit. The sound is great! It is not going to move your hair like the girl in that video but it sure is LOUD which is better for me since I listen to mostly rock...

Here are some pics:

Jason

post-251-1201278447.jpg

post-251-1201278462.jpg

Edited by jfitz981

Martyn

What model camera are you going to connect to the player for the reverse parking?

Probably the one with the mirror function on this webpage.

I've manged to find an ex-demo Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD at a resonable price, which in common with all the other Pioneer and Alpine units don't have image reversal built-in hence the need to reverse the image on the camera which does limit the choice a bit. Only the Kenwood and JVC units have image reversal built-in.

Martyn :D

Lotus have recently used a Kenwood KVT627 in an Esprit and it's got enough clearance to stay away from the centre console and leaves room for gear changes too.

6_resize.jpg

The problem is thats a late V8 dash, quite different from our SE's. The mounting position looks higher up as well.

That's a library pic, the unit was mounted in an '88 car. :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That's a library pic, the unit was mounted in an '88 car. :D

Ah thats really interesting. I'm supprised they manged it when I measured up the Kenwood unit in my SE it looked like it would create a low bridge over the gear lever. I wonder if they removed the filler panel at the top of the console and shifted it up a bit.

I was gonna take a piccy but no cameras allowed.

The chap whose car it is has recently spent fortunes on it and wanted it perfect for him. They spent quiet a bit of time picking the right head unit, it's got a garmin satnav hooked up to it and a parrot handsfree too.

Evora NA

Yes thats what I'm looking to achieve Glyn :yes . I see you've raised the mounting position up a little which must help with clearance around the gear lever. I looks like Pioneer is becoming a common theme and I've prety much come to the conclusion this is the only make that's going to fit without loads of hassle. I've noticed in the manual for the Pioneer P5900 that once the screen has popped out there's and option of sliding the mechanisim forward and backward as well as the normal tilt function, does yours do this and are there any steps in between or is it just all the way forward and all the way back ?

Yes, once it's out there is an option for it to come forward slightly. you can also adjust the tilt angle as well.

I actually stuck a little piece of black foam tape to the area on my dash where the screen opens up to, and adjusted the tilt of the screen so it was actually touching the dash under a tiny bit of load. (the screen has springs in so can be pushed a tiny bit against something).

this stops it rattling and moving when you're driving along.

I'm actually changing my interior at the moment for the V8 one, so I'll be taking the current stuff out.

If anyone wants my old centre console bit just let me know, rather than cut and re-weld your own.

Yes, once it's out there is an option for it to come forward slightly. you can also adjust the tilt angle as well.

I actually stuck a little piece of black foam tape to the area on my dash where the screen opens up to, and adjusted the tilt of the screen so it was actually touching the dash under a tiny bit of load. (the screen has springs in so can be pushed a tiny bit against something).

this stops it rattling and moving when you're driving along.

I'm actually changing my interior at the moment for the V8 one, so I'll be taking the current stuff out.

If anyone wants my old centre console bit just let me know, rather than cut and re-weld your own.

Thanks for the info Glyn. I'll see how I get on with putting mine in and might take you up on your offer if it won't fit in the standard console :blink:

Martyn :lol:

I was gonna take a piccy but no cameras allowed.

The chap whose car it is has recently spent fortunes on it and wanted it perfect for him. They spent quiet a bit of time picking the right head unit, it's got a garmin satnav hooked up to it and a parrot handsfree too.

Thanks for the info Bibs. Looks like I might have some chance of getting it in !!!

Martyn :popo:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.....

I've done an initial install on the Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD and it fits in perfectly and doesn't hit anything including my clumsy paw on the gear knob !!!. I'll post some pics when its all finished. From the units I've looked at I reckon either the Pioneer or Alpine units will fit the mechanisims seem very similar in both cases. The AVH-P5700DVD is now obsolete but they are still about if you look especially second hand, newer Pioneer units seem to have much the same mechanisim so should be Ok.