free hit
counters
Interior Mod Gated Shifter - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Interior Mod Gated Shifter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris,

What should this be good for ?

It will not improve the operation of the shifter mechanism at all. I even fear it will have a negative effect on the shifter operation.

IMHO, leave the gates where they belong to, i.e. old F-cars, where they actually had a function.

Marcus

I can get the gated shifter made, but it would be nice to have a stainless stalk to go with it . . . i think with the lock out and reverse pull up deal, that might be a bit much to ask . . . anyone know anything about it ?

Marcus

Having driven the odd Ferrari, I don't like them, can't short cut across the gate.

But, the other thing, what plans do you have to combat noise, that center section of the chasis would make a great sub woofer box. You would need to dampen it some how, as it is there is the rubber cone and the leather sleve.

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Go to this clicky link and scroll down. Not much, but its a start!

Clicky da link, then scroll down!

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday

Sorry mate but as we use a lot of cable shifting on our cars this is not very practical as the movemet can quite easily move over time and the gate could potentialy cause you a lot of hassle in the future.

Hi Troy,

Absolutely correct ! Thats exactly what I wanted to say in my previous post.

Cable-operated shifters and gates donot go well together, IMHO.

Marcus

Sorry mate but as we use a lot of cable shifting on our cars this is not very practical as the movemet can quite easily move over time and the gate could potentialy cause you a lot of hassle in the future.

Marcus

I'd thought about this; enough to start to see if it was possible. Having made a gate out of cardboard with a pair of scissors, I found the cable part of the shift meant that the movement was so imprecise that the slots in the gate had to be pretty large. Then I covered the cardboard with aluminium foil to see what it mught look like made in stainless or aluminium.... even it's mother couldn't love it. Looked like a wart on a boil. Gates for gear shifters have to LOOK like a precision piece of kit..and the sloppy slots deriving from the amount of movement of the lever made it look like something of a caricature. So I'll stick with the leather gaiter.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

yes, i had thought the shifting might not be quite precise enough . . . i just love the look . . . but i can live with a surround and chome shift knob . . . I have the citroen box on the 88 and it does have a little movement . . . molemot . . . are you selling your franken-gate shifter ? . . . just kidding.

LOOK AT THIS

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/Old%20News/news_Apr04.html

post-4009-1201274777.jpg

Best solution is to do something similar to the Elise gate, the tounges that stick out into the shifter are very short - still looks really good though.

a9ed3c864b41e11543e3352ef13cc486.image.400x295.jpg

One bit of bling that looks quite nice - this would also look neat in CF I think.

facebook = [email protected]

Makes me laugh when they print the number of the gear on the surround ,why exactly do you need to know? Had an old GS550ES Suzuki which had a gear indicator bloody useless gizmo imho! .........even the gren neural light could be slightly misleading. :0)

Simplest things first.