free hit
counters
S2 engine bay cover - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

S2 engine bay cover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hmm, I know tonneau covers are for truck beds, but I guess the concept can be applied to engine bays.

Is this cover designed for the Esprit specifically or is it a generic one that has to be cut/modified to fit?

I don't know what the cover attaches with, hopefully nothing that requires punching holes in the engine bay.

Honestly, and I hate to say it, I can't see it working. The best points to anchor it (see pic) seem to be along the horizontal line below the air grate and below all the glass. However, the engine sticks up past that point.

post-4218-1201393750.jpg

Even without the fiberglass cover, I don't think the fabric would clear.

That said, I really don't mean to discourage you! You should take the cover out to the car and start stretching it around, there has to be some angle that'll work. Good luck, let us know if it works out!

Edited by Clark

I have a tonneau in my S2.  It attaches around the edge with press studs.  There is one each side, just behind the rear window next to the removable wooden panels by the rear side windows.  Another sits near the back of that panel. A third is further back where the opening starts to widen out and the last is in the back corner.

P1200020.jpg

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Ah, I was envisioning a stiffer sort of cover, didn't think of having something stretchy. :cry:

Gotta say, it looks pretty good back there.

Edited by Clark

Thanks guys!

The cover I've got hasn't got any press studs on it, so I guess I'm going to have to buy some from somewhere and ask the missus to get sewing! :cry:

Will keep you informed of my progress and post some pics.....

Hi Paul,

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-57-durable-dot.aspx

I recommend getting the tool than goes with them to splay the centre tube so the 2 bits stay together or if you like I can post you mine to do the job if you're unlikely to need it for anything else. I assume you've already got the studs in screwed into the body?

Pete

Thanks guys!

The cover I've got hasn't got any press studs on it, so I guess I'm going to have to buy some from somewhere and ask the missus to get sewing! :lol:

Will keep you informed of my progress and post some pics.....

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I got an engine bay tonneau cover for Christmas and have no idea how to fit it as it is just a piece of fabric!

Any ideas? Photos would come in handy!

Paul

Where did you get it from. Looking for one for my car as the current ones ripped.

Ta

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!