free hit
counters
Engine cover - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Does anybody know what the engine cover of a series 1 originally had on the inside? Mine has got traces of glue on the underside so I assume something was glued in there originally - maybe sound deadening material?

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mark, was it foam of that hairy material they used under the carpet?

Cheers, Paul.

Thanks Mark.

Has anybody replaced theirs? I'm wondering what to use (when the time comes). I just wondered if somebody out there has done a comparison of different materials and what their effect was. Or even if it's necessary to use anything at all?

Cheers, Paul.

Thanks Mark.

Has anybody replaced theirs? I'm wondering what to use (when the time comes). I just wondered if somebody out there has done a comparison of different materials and what their effect was. Or even if it's necessary to use anything at all?

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul,

It is some foam in the style like in the music studios but I would use sound dedeaning with alu foil it would last longer.

Cheers,

Jean

Hi Paul, the foam was rotten so I took it out .I have not replaced it ,I think there is no difference in the noise ,I still can't hear myself think.Without the foam it cools the engine quicker and there is less to catch on fire!!! Thanks Paul G.

Hi Paul,

It is some foam in the style like in the music studios but I would use sound dedeaning with alu foil it would last longer.

Cheers,

Jean

Yep thats right... i got a NOS engine cover a couple of years back and thats exactly what was inside it....kind of egg box type shape.

It was 30 years old and pretty shot so i took it out.... i left it like that to keep down the fire risk.

I agree. All you need is a chunk of foam landing in your timing belt, on the exhaust manifold, etc.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks for the info guys :whistle: I was so focussed on the sound deadening that I'd completely neglected the fire risk!! But now you mention it I'm sure it will be safer to leave it out completely unless of course there is a fire proof version?

Regards, Paul.