free hit
counters
shock absorbers S3 turbo - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eengel1

shock absorbers S3 turbo

Hello everybody

I have removed the front wheel of my recently acquired 85 turbo.

The suspension including shock absorbers and springs are rusted.

I plan to sandblast and repaint the whole suspension once, this would probably also be the right moment to fit new shock absorbers.

I found new dampers for front for rear for pre 85 cars from Spaxx.

Does anybody have experience with this type of dampers that he could share ?

Are there other alternatives ?

(link to german spaxx catalogue http://www.doppler-fahrzeugtechnik.de/spax.../spax_2008.pdf)

Thanks for your feedack

Cheers

Marc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi

I replaced my front shocks about 2 yrs ago now. I fitted Protechs, available form SJ Sportscars. They are fully ajustable in hight & damping. come with the srpings & made in Alloy, so look the part. They were reasonably priced at the time as well. I also had everything cleaned up, painted new bushes ect..... if you look at my Thread there is a picture of the completed work.

Does your car have Vented or single discs on the front? as it seams a few owners have had hight setting issues with the Protechs on the cars with pre- 84/85 suspension set up.

I would also consider the Lotus replacements, by 'Blenstien'. I would have gone for these myself, but they wern't available when I needed to replace mine.

Have you posted any pictures of your car yet? if not why not?

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Ive got to replace my springs and dampers front & rear on my 85 TE and was looking at the new Lotus upgrade from the Lotus Spring and damper programe.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...Suspension.html

Has anyone got these fitted?

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Kato has the new springs Buddsy and I know some others who have as well. There is a post somewhere around in the older posts, I'll have a check and see if I can find it for you.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks Kimbers

Just would like to know what others thought of them but am sure they will be tops as sorted by those who know best...ie Lotus

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hi

Daz - thanks for the link to your thread , very impressive rebuilt and well documented

your suspension looks like I want mine.

"Have you posted any pictures of your car yet? if not why not?"

-have a added a picture of my car, 85 ice blue (no front turbo esprit sticker :-) ) , exterior and interior are in a very good condition, suspension is not as good.

Cheers

Marc

post-4237-1201636770.jpg

Car looks great marc. I wouldn't worry about the nose sticker. mine didn't have one, & I think it was on ealrier cars untill they reduced the size, then Lotus only put it on the sides, unless the first owner may have specified otherwise.

Daz.

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

I have the spaxx. They seem to do fine. I don't have the problem with front ride height that has been discussed with the other brand. The rear are adjutable with hieght and front and rear with damper.

Edited by cly_mitchell

Thanks for the picture Cly.

Good to know that the damper fits without any issues.

Your suspension looks good, guess it is also refurbished?

A lot of work ? this is what I have to do.

Cheers

Marc

You need a good set of spring compressors. It will take a good day to do it. It took me a little longer as I did brakes, trunions, tie rod ends and ball joints and some bushings at the same time. It takes some time but not really hard.

Cheers

Clay

Hi Marc,i recently had one of my front spax develope a leak around the adjuster screw.So i emailed spax and asked them if they were rebuildable.They wrote back that if it is a standered adujstable yellow shock it is not.If it is from thier trax spax line it is.Just thought i would throw that out there if your leaning towards the spax.In the mean time im trying to rig my yellow spax shock to the rear screen door of my house ,so you know you dont get that big smash sound when it shuts.