free hit
counters
88 brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

88 brakes

The problem is worse when the car is not warmed up, i have not driven much. But the harder I press the better it gets, less wobble. I have not blead the brakes out yet, the pads look new. Just wondering what to start with. I want to covert to steel braided lines, just like them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

the brake wobble could be a warped rear rotor. There is a problem with disc brakes in the rear -- the handbrake. I will now explain:

when you go for a spirited drive and you get your brakes hot and you put the hand brake on after you come to a stop, you then create a "hot spot". What happens is that the pads actually insulate the disc in that area and cause heat warpage. The result -- a pulsing in the brakes. If this infact the case, you will need to either "turn" your rotors or get new ones.

This is somewhat hard to check for yourself, but there are a couple of other things you can check. Check the mountings of the calipers to the transmission. Check the three bolts that hold the disc onto the axle shaft. Check the bolts that hold on the CV joint. Check for wheel bearing play (this one is unlikely, but check it anyway)

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

all very good ideas, i do seem to recall reading this. .. . on my previous 88 esprit, there were brake cooling ducts from the side vents under the door to the rear inboard brakes, i thought this was lotus standard, but this car does not have them and neither does, obviously my 94 . . . . I am going to look into buying some. I hate taking off those rear inboard brakes, they are bolted on so tight you have to stand on the spanner to get them off . . . . thanks