free hit
counters
Removing front bumper - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davegtst

Removing front bumper

My front bumper needs a bit of a respray from stone chips. Does anyone know how to get it off? Is it a normal lotus mega hard bolts in stupid places job?

968a_11.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah, i've had a quick look and it seems a bit of a pain. Its only really the underneath bit where the fog lights go that need spraying.

The valence is a seperate piece, you can take that off by itself but it would be easier to leave it on the car imo.

Oh, and get rid of those red lines on the front of your car, they'll only slow you down... :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The valence is a seperate piece, you can take that off by itself but it would be easier to leave it on the car imo.

Oh, and get rid of those red lines on the front of your car, they'll only slow you down... :blink:

They are lazer beams, Q has done a little work to it so now i can zap old pensioners that slow me down :lol:

Any ideas how i take the valance off?

I did that bumber removing last year. Job was harder than I think before. clicky

Don't know about SE, but may be same work than v8

I didn't write this but I believe it's the best write-up ever for removing the front bumpers. :blink:

Credit to Geoff Moat... :lol:

I had the pleasure of removing one from my S4 and I guess that the

S4s is broadly the same.

Begin by studying basic gynaecology and elementary contortionism.

Remove the skirt protection lip and oil cooler and radiator crap

guard panels

Remove the front skirt - there are nuts and bolts hidden all over

begining at the front of the wheel arches - all accesible from below.

There is also one at each front corner accessible through a hole in

the skirt.

Once all the bolts are undone, a bit of judicious manipulation should

free it from the bumper and the car.

Stop all bleeding, clean shredded hands, apply elastoplast as

required then continue.

Remove spare wheel and mouldy sandwiches etc. from inside bonnet

Remove ABS cover and brackets attached to inner wing and pull unit

back enough to allow access to bumper bolts.

Climb inside bonnet with suitable 10mm sockets and spanners and begin

to undo even more nuts and bolts - they run around the entire front

inner edge and the ones in the vicinity of the front corners provide

hours of harmless entertainment.

When the last one is out, grasp the bumper firmly, utter the magic

words "let go you F****** B******" and it should fall gently to the

ground.

Along the way light relief is provided by odd bits of trunking and

lighting cable plugs to undo.

Clean up, go to pub and win "hunchback of the week" prize.

Go to bed and have nightmare about putting it all back!

Geoff Moat

1995 S4s

Brilliant!

Just finished my Tax self assessment and this was just what was needed.

I thought things couldn't get any worse but...I could be taking the front bumper off a Lotus!!! :blink:

Cheers

I'm off to get [email protected]@@@@ :lol:

Rich

Hi there

paint code is A68 or B08 either will give the same formula for Pacific Blue, earlier cars will have the A code and later the B code colour was listed from 1989 to 93.

Hope this helps.

Ric.

I am going to have my bumpers painted. Just another one of the many!!! The PO had obviously painted my back one and made a total pigs ear of it, anyways the Chap that has done painting for me on previous occasions said leave the bumpers on so he can get a proper match, its Ok in my view saying its this colour or that colour but to put new paint on say a 20 year old car might need a slight shading change otherwise it will show, if you see what I mean, saves a lot of grazed knuckles, lost sleep, plus I think you will find it has more nuts and bolts than the Forth Road Bridge, slight exageration of course

when I had my bumper replaced at Paul Mattys a couple of years ago, they took the old one off with a jigsaw, or at least cut holes so they could get to the bolts easier

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I would paint it on the car....here is a picture of your future...

picture012lc1.jpg

I had to pull mine off for a different reason...I guess at some point a turn signal was replaced and the tool put it in backwards. So the whole thing had to come off in order to make the signals right.

Jim's quote "When the last one is out, grasp the bumper firmly, utter the magic

words "let go you F****** B******" and it should fall gently to the ground." is an understatement. I used a lot of "God d*#m mother [email protected]#$*er" :hope:

A true nightmare, as EVERY bolt was rusted hard. One of the under shields had one of those "captured" nuts, and it ended up turning within its mount. A real bitch to correct...definitely buy stainless hardware for the reassembly if you go this route. Plan on a whole day to remove, 1/2 day to reinstall.

I would think that you have a good chance of scratching something on reassembly, so painting on car is likely the better way to go.

Edited by Paul93Lotus