free hit
counters
Transaxle cooler setup - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
97-Esprit V8

Transaxle cooler setup

Some installation picture of my transaxle oil cooler and filter setup

post-1829-1201670449.jpg

Breather line

post-1829-1201670470.jpg

Supply line (building a skid plate to protect this fitting)

Plan to re-tap to allow fitting to move closer to transaxle

post-1829-1201670487.jpg

20 micron filter assembly

post-1829-1201670499.jpg

Ducted cooler

post-1829-1201670509.jpg

Top view of setup

post-1829-1201670574.jpg

Pump mount

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice installation and very useful modification.

I have a transmission oil cooler installed and use the fill and drain plugs to complete the circuit:

Transmissionoil-coolerinstall.jpg

Do you have a temperature operated switch for the pump, or are you running it constantly?

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

What sort of pump are you using?

-Chandra

91SE

For my set-up, I am using a Mocal oil pump which is thermostatically controlled:

Mocal oil pump

The only downside to the installation, is that the pump is actually quite noisy and is audible from within the cabin.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Thanks,

I would have used my oil fill hole but the plug is stuck in the housing and the square head looks to be near sheared off...I drilled a new oil fill hole in the tail housing at the same level and will use my vent line to fill the transaxle.

Pump is a viton sealed diaphragm pump, very similar to the mocal pump. I have on order a temperature sensor, same one used in for the engine water temperature gauge, which I will wiring in with a small rotary 3 position switch to view temperature at engine(water), engine(oil) and transaxle on the factory engine water temperature gauge. I had planned to just turn the pump on when I was on the track, simple switch with led for run status. Also run it occasionally on the street to filter the fluid.

Paul

Mike,

What temperature does your pump turn on at? Typically what temperature does the transmission sit at? do you have any data from before the cooler setup?

Paul

Edited by 97-Esprit V8

What temperature does your pump turn on at? Typically what temperature does the transmission sit at? do you have any data from before the cooler setup?

Hi Paul,

The pump comes on at 100 degC and off at 82 degC. During normal driving the pump is off, but when you pressing-on or are stuck in stop/go traffic, it can come on. I would say that it is normal in the low 90s.

Sorry, but I don

Paul ,you can weld a spot on your "sheared off" filler bold. Than weld a bigger nut on top -it gives you the option to release the filler bold , because of the heat transferred on the seized treaths and the new head shape.

If you drill a new hole you maybe weaken the casing if it is not in the rigt position/section, so i hope the casing does not get any cracks and oil leaks in the future (because of vibration from daily use, or track running) !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

How much oil do you run with this setup? I guess you need more to keep the level roughly similar to standard after filling the pump and oil cooler.

Do you know if there is more or less pressure in the transaxle with setup, i.e. does it breath better or is it pressurised by the pump?

With the Quaife ATB it seems to be difficult to get a good oil seal around the output shafts due to the lack of an O ring. I am wondering if this system helps alleviate that or does it make it worse?

cheers

-Chris

How much oil do you run with this setup? I guess you need more to keep the level roughly similar to standard after filling the pump and oil cooler.

Do you know if there is more or less pressure in the transaxle with setup, i.e. does it breath better or is it pressurised by the pump?

With the Quaife ATB it seems to be difficult to get a good oil seal around the output shafts due to the lack of an O ring. I am wondering if this system helps alleviate that or does it make it worse?

cheers

-Chris

Chris,

I have not filled it yet as I now need to remove the cooler to paint it. I will note how much it hold to the fill plug level and report when I know. Car is also jacked up at the front so it might be some time. Pump wouldn't hold that much, cooler and lines perhaps 1/4-1/2L more, filter might add another 1/3L. I have installed a vent line with small air filter to the transaxle, this would reduce the pressures on the seals.

The way I see the oil seals on the axles is they are going to leak, not a big deal really. A simple vent line is easy to add.

Paul

No O-ring? How come? :D

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Hi Neal,

The Quaife ATB just doesn't have provision for them. I am not really sure why not. I have heard that they are designed for racing and that the groove for an O ring may be an unnecessary weakness. IT just means that you need to take extra care when assembling to get all the oil cleaned of thoroughly and apply the silicone sealant carefully for maximum effectiveness. I suspect that reducing the pressure with a vent would easy the load on the sealant.

cheers

-Chris