free hit
counters
Tail Gate Struts - GT3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GordonMasson

Tail Gate Struts - GT3

Had a look through the various threads on struts and i wanted to get a "where are we now" on the topic with regards to a GT3.

I see various struts have been fitted... which do you think are best having been in use for a while and should you go for after market ones or replacement lotus parts?

Are the struts from the like of SJ Lotus units or aftermarket ones?

The tail gate does open but only just and since its got a sport 300 wing on it, it traps your fingers when you try to lift it so it would be good if it did open up fully :D

Cheers

Gordon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just a quick update on this .....

I read this in one of the other threads some place about oiling the hinges and giving the struts a spray with WD40.

Did that on the car tonight and it made quite a big difference :)

Tail gate is popping up about 2 feet now when i pull the lever.... ok the engine was hot so the gas in the struts would have been at its best but its certainly much better than it was.

Might be worth a try for anyone else with a sluggish tail gate.

I noticed that the tail gate is clipping the roof slightly as it comes up but i dont think i will try to adjust that out ... from what i have read it can be a bugger to get right!!

Hi,

Gordon, I always open mine once the catches have popped by grabbing hold of the rear screen cover/sun shield, never had trapped fingers. I will try your wd40 tip, my gate doesn't even pop up 2 feet, I have to lift it from the deck, also I'm carrying a length of wood at the moment to hold it up if the struts don't, usually when cold.

Hopefully my list of 'to do jobs' will be short come the end of the summer!

Owen

I noticed that the tail gate is clipping the roof slightly as it comes up but i dont think i will try to adjust that out ... from what i have read it can be a bugger to get right!!

Stand back from the car megaphone.jpg Dont do it.

Try getting a mate with you to push the sunroof forwards in its catches. This may give an extre mm or 2

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Stand back from the car megaphone.jpg Dont do it.

Try getting a mate with you to push the sunroof forwards in its catches. This may give an extre mm or 2

Trust me Alex ... i already had the message from your earlier posts and i dont fancy the "get inside the boot and adjust it job"

Did wonder if it was the location of the sunroof ... in any case its not bad enough to start getting the spanners out.

So far i fave always opened the tail gate lik eyou Owen but oiling everything has made a big difference so its well worth a go.

May still get new struts if they are a reasonable price and someone can give a recomendation....kind of spoils the "cool look" when you have the rear deck propped up on a plank of 4 x 2 !!!

As I said on the other thread - it's cold, gas doesn't expand well in the cold.

In summer my lid flies open, in winter it smacks me on the head.

facebook = [email protected]

Gordon,

I fitted two RS Component struts to my GT3. You can adjust the pressure to suit your needs, take your head off lift or a nice smooth lift. I fitted them about 4 years ago & have had no problems at all. Not sure on the current cost but I paid about

Gordon,

I fitted two RS Component struts to my GT3. You can adjust the pressure to suit your needs, take your head off lift or a nice smooth lift. I fitted them about 4 years ago & have had no problems at all. Not sure on the current cost but I paid about

Gordon,

Direct replacement but I purchased the metal rod ends as I did not like the plastic ones that were origanally fitted.

If you do not have a local RS outlet give the Guy's at SGS Engineering a call on 01332 298126 or take a look on there website. www.sgs-enginering.com.

The Saint