free hit
counters
Engine Paint - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Engine Paint

As some of you may know I have my engine and have been doing a full rebuild. BigSi suggested that I should paint my block and I guess all the other non machined faces. To be honest I didn

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest Troy Halliday

The stains on your engine will be almost impossible to get completely clean. The surface of the aluminium is pores and the dirt will have impregnated the surface. I would thoroughly clean the block using something like marine clean from FROST and then use an Aluminium colour engine paint. Now to do this and not make it look like it has been painted you have to apply thin layers. More kind of dry brushing it than painting it like you would a door or something. This will keep the cast look to the block and make it look brand new as apposed to freshly painted. The results are amazing.

engine-2.jpg

I agree with the man above

Troy that is......not god :)

Frosts have got pretty much every thing you need.

Oooh! and if we are doing pretty engine pictures can I join in?

rebuild3042.jpg

Blimey. Tip top fellas. Bugger. I will have to do this now the engines out. Too good an opportunity to miss.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks guys, so nice and thin so you get the texture of the castings. Frosts dont seem to do silver engine paint found one here

http://classicsagogo.co.uk/acatalog/Engine_Paint.html#aELP00

or do you think a trip to local car place / halfords is in order. I see the guy who done Kato's engine look to be using a sprwy paint?

Is there any problem with the paint flacking or peeling after time?

Ah cool Troy thaks alot. Punky and your engines both loot tip top :) I was looking at the BigSi thread where you painted his engine...didnt realise how much work you guys done!!! Hats off top notch.

buddsy the thing is that when painted it forms a nice protective barrier on the metal, and it makes cleaning the block so much easier, then once a year touch up all the parts you can get to to keep it in tip top condition.

as you know i like my cars to be concours condition, i dont know why but i just do, my last car my fairlady was a very rare car and i would spend hours cleaning it so it was always presentable, the other thing is that while cleaning i was able to find small problems, get them fixed and keep on top of things.

here you go see always clean!!

car1.jpg

fldy-1.jpg

i was going to go down that route myself, the only thing stopping me was the constant cleaning that would have had to be done to prevent oxidistation in the uk weather here, in the states in a good dry climate its fine, but that level of polishing here is a pin to keep clean. and i couldnt find anyone willing to polish mine here anyway, they all chickened out when they saw the fins and lettering etc.

Thanks BigSi.

Mark....freak me!!! you must be a gluton for punishment!!! looks fab but I bet it takes some work!!! Are you elbows totally worn out now?

Been left outside since sept and still not tarnished, Turbo and manifold have corroded but shiney bits still good!!! Need to get busy this week as I have a viewer next weekend!! Elbows will be sore lol

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Mark MacKenzie - that is beautiful.

I want...

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

yes mat, as spalshout said the guys name is vinz or as we know him bee gee vinz as he looks like one of the bee gee's. vinz is a great guy and has spent a lot of money on his zed, its in very good condition, and he was able to help me with getting machined parts for mine as i made an upgraded gear stick and changer assembly for mine as the old one wasnt very good.

some people say that he has gone over the top with the polished and chrome parts in his car , but personally anyone who loves his car that much get a massive thumbs up from me, to quote boyd coddington " you can tell a lot about someone just by looking how they take care of their car"

Anyone remember this Nissan 300 from Supercar Sunday?

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Edited by bigsi

Buddsy,

I've been using the POR engine enamel (aluminium) on my gearbox and it looks very nice indeed. On the rough surfaces there are no brush marks but on the smoother castings it initially looked streaky. I found that dabbing it with a sponge before the paint was dry removed all the brush marks and gave a nice homogeneous texture.

The marine clean degreaser is fabulous and I also used the metal ready stuff since they recommend to do so.

Ambrose

when the enamel is dry you could go over it with soime wet and dry paper, another option is to get the thinner for the paint and buy a cheap compressor and paint gun and spray the casings.