free hit
counters
Engine bay cover, modification. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pred247

Engine bay cover, modification.

For too long now, I have had problems with water in my spark plug holes.

It didn't matter how well I sealed the covers, I would still find my plugs were rusting.

It was obvious that if I had the car cleaned or if she was exposed to heavy rainfall, the water would drop through the grilles in the rear hatch, and on to the spark plug cover. Then slowly drain in to the plug holes, causing the rust and loss of power.

So I have made a slight mod to the engine bay cover. The idea is that rain will fall through the hatch grilles, on to the aluminium plates. Then drain through the holes, and continue across the plates and finally down the side of the engine and on to the floor.

I've tried to keep as much of the plenum exposed, as possible. The main centre section of the plenum is only covered by a mesh. So there is still sufficient air flow and cooling.

Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

See pics below.

John

post-1853-1202044759.jpg

post-1853-1202044768.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I think it looks pretty good - There was an update I am sure on the V8 to elieviate this issue but if that works for you keep it that way.

Thanks Jonathan,

I think Lotus sold plug covers with evap holes. Someone mentioned them previously. Not cheap though. Plus, I don't like the idea of water getting in and then being expected to evaporate out again.

Just a little update. I've just been to have the car cleaned, and the plug covers and plenum are bone dry! B)

John

Looks like a good solution to the water problem. I wonder what effect is has in regard to engine bay cooling.

Regards,

Peter.

Well I can't say exactly, but nothing has tripped on the ECM. If I place my hand on the plenum after driving, it's still cool enough to gently touch.

There was no rush of heat as I open the hatch either.

Fingers crossed, it is ok.

John

Looks good John, I like shiny stuff in there :devil:

I often thought this part should have been made in CF.

Thanks Hun,

My engine has Bling! LOL :devil:

John

Thanks Jonathan,

I think Lotus sold plug covers with evap holes. Someone mentioned them previously. Not cheap though. Plus, I don't like the idea of water getting in and then being expected to evaporate out again.

Just a little update. I've just been to have the car cleaned, and the plug covers and plenum are bone dry! B)

John

John,

Quick question...

Do you have the rubber gaskets that are supposed to be under the spark plug cover? These are supposed to keep the water from getting to your spark plugs.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

John,

Quick question...

Do you have the rubber gaskets that are supposed to be under the spark plug cover? These are supposed to keep the water from getting to your spark plugs.

Hello mate, Yes I do have those.

I've also just purchased a new pair.

John