free hit
counters
Help putting my S1 back together please! - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Help putting my S1 back together please!

I need a bit of help putting my S1 back together!! I'm in the process of repairing the radiator housing and I'm confused about how it all goes back together and which of the holes are actually needed. In this photo you can see the side of the housing where the bolts on the sides of the radiator go...

My radiator has 2 bolts on each side but the housing has 3 holes on both sides so the question is - should it just have 2 holes and if not what's the other hole for?

Then in this photo you can see the underneath of the housing...

On the underneath there are 6 holes near the back - a group of 4 in a line evenly spaced and 2 on their own in the middle. What are these for? I'm pretty sure they're nothing to do with the radiator itself and I'm wondering if the 4 are actually used to bolt the radiator housing to the chassis. My car was missing a piece of angle which bolts to the anti-roll bar mounts and I'm guessing that this is maybe where it fixes to, except that I believe there are three holes in the angle but my housing has 4 holes? But this still leaves me with another 2 unknown holes.

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul

The radiator does not bolt to the car. It bolts to the cowling and then the whole structure bolts in as one piece to the car. On the side of the cowling the third hole is for a bolt that fastens the side of the cowling to the bodywork. The corresponding hole should be buried in the headlamp pod recesses, you may have to take the pod out to see it.

The radiator does not bolt directly to the car at any point, only the cowling.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hi Paul,

I dragged my undertray out of the dust in my garage for some photos for you. As you can see from my tray, there are also three holes where the rad bolts onto the tray at either end - two large and one smaller hole. The rad itself has two mounting bolts each end and the third hole in the tray is where the tray itself screws to the bodywork. The picture should be clearer then my explanation.

The four holes in a row along the rear of the tray are where a steel plate bolts on. This steel plate is sort of a stiffener and has 4 x M6 captive nuts welded into it. The stiffener plate bolts onto the tray on these 4 holes. Mine are rusted out totally as are probably 99% of all S1's by now. There was nothing left of the original plate - the replacement came from SJ Sportcars.

There is also a 'closing plate' that you refer to, this bolts between the antirollbar fixings on the chassis and also to the stiffener plate on three points (also M6 bolts). This smaller closing plate is shown in the picture along with the stiffener. I havn't gotten around to fitting any of this yet, so you are in luck (!)

The rad is sandwiched in between the tray and the chassis/nose with 50mm x 50mm x 1m lengths of foam all around its outside - you will see the 50mm recessess in the rad now you know what to look for - and the whole thing offered up to the chassis closing plate and nose of the car with rather brutal self tapping screws in seemingly random positions.

Hope this helps - contact me if you need any measurements, clarification or more dodgy photos.

Cheers - Jon.

post-3309-1202219403.jpg

post-3309-1202219545.jpg

post-3309-1202219586.jpg

Thanks for the info/pictures Jon :D

If you look at the picture of the underneath of my radiator housing you can see that there are 6 holes in mine - 4 in a line for the metal plate to fix to and another 2 in the middle. Does yours also have the 2 in the middle (it's difficult to tell in the photo)?

Also, the three holes down the sides where the rad fixes... are those 3 holes in a line? can you tell me the distance from the radiator fixing hole to the hole which is used to fix the housing to the body please?

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Paul, I`ve emailed you dimensions of my original alloy plate.

My car only has a hole visible in the centre of the grp corresponding with the larger of the two holes in the alloy plate. however there may be another one hidden behind the plate. theres nothing bolted through the hole.

Paul,

I concur with Tristan - the plate has two larger holes in it - one of them lines up with a hole in the duct, the other one doesn't seem to serve any purpose that I can see. No idea what the larger hole is for unless it's a drain hole (?)

The parts you need are listed in the Esprit parts manual as "Closing Plate" A079A4056K, this is otherwise known as the front chassis crossbrace and is the shorter angle iron which SJ sells it as their part number SJ611 for

post-3309-1202338250.jpg

Hi Jon

Yep it's not worth the hassle of making them for that price. Job done!!

Thanks, Paul.

Paul,

I concur with Tristan - the plate has two larger holes in it - one of them lines up with a hole in the duct, the other one doesn't seem to serve any purpose that I can see. No idea what the larger hole is for unless it's a drain hole (?)

The parts you need are listed in the Esprit parts manual as "Closing Plate" A079A4056K, this is otherwise known as the front chassis crossbrace and is the shorter angle iron which SJ sells it as their part number SJ611 for

Paul,

Oh, and while I was surfing the SJ website, I found a picture which shows the front of the chassis with both plates fitted !

Cheers- Jon.

Indeed Jon, the larger hole is a drain hole for the radiator. Take a look at the previous picture from the white S1.

Cheers,

Jean