free hit
counters
Right! this is really beginning to irritate me now... - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Right! this is really beginning to irritate me now...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has come up before, but I can't find the thread on it.

It was a brace for the front chassis members fitted to the early cars, the later cars tend not to have it including my 1981 S3 even though it has the same anti-roll bar mounts.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Yes it was probably me that brought it up last time hehehe And I still don't know what it does :) I reckon it's used to support the radiator housing somehow but I'd really like to see a picture of the underneath of an early original car if anybody has one please?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul, I think mine was so rusted it fell off - and guess what? It made no difference to the fitment of the radiator or structure of the front end, so it stayed off.

Iain

Hi Iain

You're probably not alone there - I reckon that's the story for most people!! Mine was missing when I bought the car. However, it was there for a reason and my guess is that it's something to do with supporting the radiator housing - there is possibly a metal plate which bolts to it and then to the radiator housing? My radiator housing has 4 holes at the back which are evenly spaced and look to be original holes - does yours have those holes?

You can see them in this thread...

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=14558

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Paul,

It has nothing to do with the rad mounting. It simply bolts into the chassis at each end and that's it. Nothing else is connected to it. I can't see any reason for it being there...but I left it on just in case.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Paul,

It has nothing to do with the rad mounting. It simply bolts into the chassis at each end and that's it. Nothing else is connected to it. I can't see any reason for it being there...but I left it on just in case.

Pete

Pete

It has 3 x M6 nuts welded to the bottom of it so something bolts to it. I found this in the SJ parts list...

RADIATOR DUCT SUPPORT PANEL Series 1 only. Bolts to rear of raditor duct and chassis cross brace. SJ079K0015

and I'm guessing that this is what bolts to it.

Cheers, Paul.

Fair enough. Should have thought before I spoke. You will have a very different rad cowling to the S2!

I think the S2 has the radiator angled back rather than vertical (as it is on my car) - presumably to try and improve cooling? This was probably the first area on the car to rust and disintegrate and as it's not structural most people just left it unsupported but the rad housing seems quite a big thing to have with no support underneath it at all?

Cheers, Paul.

There are a number of variations on the rads for the S2. The some had the vertical setup whilst I think there were 2 differently angled versions so it all depends on which rad you had as they were different sizes.

The housing on mine is pretty solid hence it's only fixed at the top. It does however have 2 brace bars which bolt to the bottom rear corners and then onto the bolts holding the angled bar you're talking about...

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Paul,

Help this a bit? Mine have original radiator so take a good look at it.

Jean

Aha - at last Jean you have answered the question :devil: Thank you for putting me out of my misery - I now know how to put the front of my car back together again properly. Top man!!

Thanks, Paul.