free hit
counters
Aluminium rear hubs - anybody want to buy some? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Aluminium rear hubs - anybody want to buy some?

As some of you may know, I recently had the series 1 wheel caps re-made as they are no longer available and they seemed to be a success. So I'm now thinking of having some aluminium rear hubs made by a foundry as these seem to be as rare as the proverbial. Before I go any further I just wanted to get an idea for how many people would be interested in buying a pair? Also, does anybody know if the series 2/3/4 hubs are the same as the series 1? I reckon they would be around the

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unfortunately the hubs were changed through the life of the Esprit

S1/S2/S2.2

S3/TE top link mount added.

Turbo/SE/S4/etc tab added for out board brakes. (not sure if the rear hub remained the same from 1988 - 2004???)

This is going to complicate matters for you as you will need to get at least 3 different castings made.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Unfortunately the hubs were changed through the life of the Esprit

S1/S2/S2.2

S3/TE top link mount added.

Turbo/SE/S4/etc tab added for out board brakes. (not sure if the rear hub remained the same from 1988 - 2004???)

This is going to complicate matters for you as you will need to get at least 3 different castings made.

Hilly

Thanks for the info Hilly :)

I thought that might be the case. As I only have a set of series 1 hubs I will go with those. So this thread now becomes a series 1 only question...

Cheers, Paul.

SJ Sportscars list the same part for the S1 and S2 so I think yours will work with both types of car.

They charge 200 pounds for the left hand and 339 for the right. How much would yours be fully machined?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I reckon they would be about

I have a couple of NOS spare hubs, and they're steel.

I'm talking about the round thing that the wheel studs get pressed into -- that's what you're talking about, right?

Not to be confused with the hub carrier, which houses the bearing and the suspension links are bolted to.

I'd be quite afraid to drive on an S1 with aluminum hubs, unless maybe they are made thicker (which will also bring the wheels farther out); they're thin enough as-is in steel form!

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE