free hit
counters
New suspension and brakes upgrade - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Winter

New suspension and brakes upgrade

Finished it at 10 pm last night (Sunday) - it took 23 yes twenty three hours for two of us to do. We started Friday lunchtime.

It wasn't so much problematic as tedious - the only thing that was seized was the bottom left hand rear hub carrier pin but that took only half an hour or so to cut and remove bit-by-bit - after a bit of heat to each of the two hub lugs. Redolent of (old) Europa top wishbone bolt. I had anticipated this so had new pins and bolts ready just in case. In the end, I needed only one pin.

Each of the flexi/bundy pipe joints at the front where they are attach to the inner of the car also needed heat before the nuts would crack.

While at it, I fitted poly bushes to the rear suspension. This is tricky, but the melting-old-bushes-with-a-blow lamp dodge helps to press them out and I have the Lotus cone to help press new ones in.

Everything now lathered up with Coppaslip.

Kept the damper spring-platform height to as-supplied-by-Lotus setting i.e. the upper groove. Ride seems actually harder than before. I thought it might be more compliant. Found the tiniest bit of wear in top-right front ball joint so that's to be replaced.

Gradual bedding in of PNM 320 mm discs front and rear and Hispec 6-pot calipers. Kept the standard Brembo rear caliper and filled system with DOT5.1 (TRW).

Now for all-wheel alignment check. Rear off-side wheel badly worn on inner surface. ?camber or toe in.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.