free hit
counters
tidying up a few hoses - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

tidying up a few hoses

hello everyone.

attached pics of a bit of hose tidying up i managed to do today before it rained managed to do the catch tank hoses and the headder tank. not sure if i should continue using braiding or leave it as it is now.

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

little tip for those who use braided hose, get some fluxed solder, get a soldering iron and solder about 10mm of braided section around the area you intend to cut, then put a wrap of insulation tape around it, hold the pipe on a wooden block and then get a really sharp chisel and a big hammer and then in the centre of the soldered section give it a bloody hard whack to cut it neatly with no frays!, or the other option is take it to a place that has a proper braided pipe cutter there.

Be very cautious when using overbraid type hose over the original rubber hoses, it can be abrasive and reduces the heat disapation properties of the original hose.

I've seen some big power Jap turbo cars which have failed after their engine bays had been 'dressed up'

Better going for replacement samco or equivalent, more expensive short term but chaper thn a blown engine after a coolant hose blows!!!!

hello everyone.

took the car for a run today (through town) to see what would happen with the temperature (bottle of water in the boot at the ready) car ran fine no overheating, but thanks for the warning mangel

It's Oogies turn to boogie

i don't like stainless brading (unless it has the protective clear plastic coating on it)

we used to use it alot on our muscle car restorations

it only looks good for a couple of months, then tarnishes

and cant be cleaned

for the same amount of work (though not free), silicone hoses in bright colors can be used

and kept clean

rock on!

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

it only looks good for a couple of months, then tarnishes and cant be cleaned

:thumbsup: Shouldn't do, thats the whole point of stainless steel, it's highly resisitve to oxidisation.

Aluminium yes, stainless no. You might have got some really bad / cheap grade with less % chrome in it, if I can I always get 316 (A4) marine grade - it's super resistant due to it's application and only slightly more expensive. A2 (304 ?) is fine for cars and anything else not used in food industry.

facebook = [email protected]

:thumbsup: Shouldn't do, thats the whole point of stainless steel, it's highly resisitve to oxidisation.

Aluminium yes, stainless no. You might have got some really bad / cheap grade with less % chrome in it, if I can I always get 316 (A4) marine grade - it's super resistant due to it's application and only slightly more expensive. A2 (304 ?) is fine for cars and anything else not used in food industry.

not corrode--tarnish

it picks up all the dirt and oil vapors in the strands and you cant get it out

just the nature of the engine bay

maybe others have different experiences, but thats mine

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND