free hit
counters
New exhaust system,seats and dash - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
silverfrost

New exhaust system,seats and dash

Hi All,

Managed to get my exhaust system back from the welding shop, i made the system then got them to seam weld it,

Its a 2 1/2" inch bore to aid the breathing of the v8, The back boxes are a great size 12.5cm x 25cm so room was

not a drama, it all fits in pretty snug and keeps well away from all components that dont like heat :devil: and aided

by the cars custom venting system aka large holes cut out and meshed should help aswell!

Also managed to get my dashboard finished fitted custom alloy switches and a nice large starter button that i love :devil:

Also fitted motorsport gauges that are now electric as the new engine needed them, i managed to keep

the light switch,and the rest of the small gauges as i dont think they look that bad and it kept costs down aswell

thats always a bonus

Also replaced the seats at last as before they just had covers on them from when i changed the colour of the interior

they are now black leather look gt seats they fit well.

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Now that is really starting to look mean. Love the interior - very racey.

What is left to do?

When can we see some comepleted shots?

; -)

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Now that is really starting to look mean. Love the interior - very racey.

What is left to do?

When can we see some comepleted shots?

; -)

Hi Mike,

Still got to get a bracket made for the back callipers, gearbox linkage and put the settings in the VEMS unit,

To be honest it would not take that much time, however im always pushed for time to spend on the car.

As for the finished article, hopefully i will make one of the meets this year fingers crossed

regards danny

Edited by silverfrost

A

Dan, that is one great looking exhaust setup! Interior looks ace! Really like the carbon fiber and the new gauges. Great job!

Dan, that is one great looking exhaust setup! Interior looks ace! Really like the carbon fiber and the new gauges. Great job!

Cheers for the nice comments greg, i just need to hear what it sounds like now when i finally get her running :D

regards danny

A

Still got to get a bracket made for the back callipers, gearbox linkage and put the settings in the VEMS unit,

I had better get a move on with your loom and your gear linkage then............

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I had better get a move on with your loom and your gear linkage then............

Hilly

You Take as long as you need to buddy :D

Regards Danny

A

OK, your excuses for not finishing are getting fewer as I have just re-tested your engine loom and VEMS ecu and it is all functioning correctly on my bench simulator.

I'll get it back to you in the post tomorrow.

You should now just plug it in (you still need to fit a 3A and a 10A fuse because I haven't got any here) and it will be ready to start programming up.

Happy days

Hilly

OK, your excuses for not finishing are getting fewer as I have just re-tested your engine loom and VEMS ecu and it is all functioning correctly on my bench simulator.

I'll get it back to you in the post tomorrow.

You should now just plug it in (you still need to fit a 3A and a 10A fuse because I haven't got any here) and it will be ready to start programming up.

Happy days

Hilly

Andy your a legend :D and you know my reason for not getting it done faster :D

regards danny

A

No progress on Mutant this week so to prove I haven't been slacking here are pictures of what I have been doing for Danny's car, a copy of my gear change linkage.

You guys seem to like pictures of mills and lathes and stuff so I'll take you on a journey of how I make up bits (in this case the selector arm) the with the help of some pictures.

The first thing I normally do is draw the part in 2D CAD and for this I use a program called Vutrax.

It is actually a PCB design program, but the 2D CAD bit of it is quite good, plus it is a free download from their site.

vutraxarm750x563.jpg

This is drawn to scale in the software so that once I know it will fit together with all the other parts I then print it out on a laser printer at 1:1 scale.

Next cut out any big holes that need doing with the cone cutter as these have a tenancy not end up where you marked them, well they don't when I do it anyway.

The printout is then stuck onto a bit of alloy using spray mount (lined up on the big hole) and all the important dimensions are marked onto the metal because the cutting fluid has a habit of making the paper fall of loosing all the cutting and drilling lines.

IMG_0143752x564.jpg

With the outline marked and the paper peeled off I can now cut out the basic shape on a band saw.

IMG_0136752x564.jpg

Next, finish off to the final shape on a sanding wheel.

IMG_0137752x564.jpg

Drill out the M6 mounting screw holes on a pillar drill.

IMG_0138752x564.jpg

To make the assembly look nicer the heads for the mounting screws are recessed so I need to counter bore this on the mill.

IMG_0139752x564.jpg

Last bit, machine off the the end of the arm at 10

Danny

Love the wheels!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi all,

Just thought i would add a few more pics as to whats happening with the car,

As the powertrain is a lot more powerfull than I had intended for when i fitted

the bmw wheels they where 17 x 9 rear with 255 40 17 and 17 x 7.5 front

with 215 40 17,

As the V8 lump now makes the sound of as nascar, i decided to uprate the

wheels again and put wider track down on the back ;)

Hence the rears now have 18 x 10 with 275 35 18 tyres and the fronts have

17 x 8 with 215 40 17,

These are compomotive motorsport alloy wheels, and are also a hell of a lot lighter

than the bmw wheels, I still use a 40mm adaptor on the rear thought as although

they where bespoke to the car the backs they cannot make lower than ET1.

Also painted up the rear valance and satin blacked the exhaust outlets as the shiny

ss looked a bit out of place,

A

Cheers Russ,

Yep will have to get some full photos when its all done,

regards danny

A

Liking the new wheels Danny, bet they set you back a few sheets.

Looking back at this thread has just reminded me I haven't posted a picture of your finished gear linkage, so .........

dannygearchange1.jpg

dannygearchange2.jpg

Any luck with fitting it yet ?????

Hilly

Andy,

Looked into these wheels a while ago when the topic on the forum came up on aftermarket

wheels, And i looked into these wheels and liked the look and the specs,

I remember what you said many years ago your dramas with compomotive,

But i did a bit a bit of research before ordering to make sure i got what i wanted

and there was going to no dramas, the feedback from other people who have

bought wheels in the last few years was very good.

So the specs stayed the same et23 front 17x8 and et1 rear 10x18

The backs look great and really fill the arches, they do a 21 to 28 day turn around

everthing done by email, and for the money they are cracking,

If you had an s4 or v8 they would work out cheaper that buying seondhand

lotus alloys

Edited by silverfrost

A

Finished pics of brakes, and engine bay! MOT soon!

regards Danny

A

Hi Jason,

I only removed the rear bumper and valance, I kept the front bumper as the front end of the esprit would look weird with it missing, but the rear end is flat enough to get away with it! regards danny

A

Hi,

Finally managed to get the car out of the garage, needed a wash as the dust was collecting quite badly, So with the weather been nice today it was an excuse to pull her out and get it washed! Its the first time its been out since the mods and its funny to see the whole thing from all angles from a distance, Not sure the purists will like it but I feel that with the rear bumper removed it captures the essence of the S1, Well thats my excuse anyway :D , the car is now running and complete but still needs the VEMS sorting as its not running as I would like but other than that its ready for the highway!

A

Thats looking pretty damn cool!

Just noticed you have fitted an exhaust with my name on it! Is that cause its big and noisy?

:D Dont know why they did have simons written on them, they where from jetex! Great sound from them though, nice sound on idle not to loud, but give it some beans and it sounds like banshee!

Regards danny

A