free hit
counters
Changing injectors and fuel filter - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Changing injectors and fuel filter

Pred247

Yes. Are planning to run the car until the fuel pressure is reduced?

You

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel filter is in, and she is running without any problems. The hardest part and most time consuming was srewing the filter back in place. What a fiddle!

It's just started raining outside, so I can't start on the plenum just yet. It's only spitting so fingers crossed it will stop soon!

John

Right, job DONE!!

First of all, the injectors are in and she is running very smooth and really does have a much nicer accelaration.

That's no surprise after looking at the old injectors. They were not in the best shape. One was dented around the nozel, and another was barely sat in place.

I must confess, I spent 12hrs changing the fuel filter and the injectors. I didn't even stop for lunch.

I know I'm sad for taking so long, but I did have 3 major problems!

Problem 1

After replacing the second fuel rail, I checked to see if they both sat the same. To my horror, one rail did not seem to be hugging the injector tops as much. I tried for a while to squeeze the rail on better but I had no luck. Then I took the rail back off and looked inside. I found to injector o-rings in there. They had come off the old injectors!

Problem 2

This one really annoyed me! After reconnecting everything at the throttle end of the plenum, I then had a good lean over to check the gaskets were in place ok. The left side was fine, but the right seemed a bit off side. I was look at it from the rear. When I checked the throttle side, I could see it was way off track.

I hated the thought of having to remove everything to re-seat it again. I was able to raise the plenum just enough to get my hand around the back and move it in to place. It took some time and some amount pain and flexability lol. The good news is, I can now wall paper a house through their letter box! :)

Problem 3

This was most concerning. After connecting everything back up again, I then switched the electrics back on. I heard the fuel pumps arm and I was just about to start the car, but then I chose to cycle the fuel pump again. Thank goodness I did! The secondary injector pip, which is held on by a popper type clip had popped off. Fuel ran down the engine. I put it back on again but the same thing happened.

After looking at the popper, I decided to bend the plastic clip sections out slightly so it would have a better bite.

It worked. I cycled the fuel pump over and over and se was fine. I washed the raw fuel away, but I didn not start the car until this morning.

So, all seems well and fingers crossed im not sat next to a burning wreck in the near future!

I would really like to thank everyone for their help. Especially Mike :) Cheers mate.

Also, the tip about using engine oil to lube the injector o-rings was priceless. It made such a difference!

Every time I'm trying to squeeze my injector in a tight hole, and require a bit of lube, I'll be thinking of you! :thumbsup: He he he

Take care,

John

Good job.

Glad that you have managed to get everything back together okay.

You have me worried about the secondary injectors though. If the clip is failing, then I would seriously consider replacing them.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Good job.

Glad that you have managed to get everything back together okay.

You have me worried about the secondary injectors though. If the clip is failing, then I would seriously consider replacing them.

I've had a good feel around, and there is not a drop from it now. I think I'll replace it though. Better to be safe than on fire lol.

John

Well done John,

Just a few questions.

1. Why did you decide to change the injectors?

2. How many miles had the car done?

3. How much smoother is she after doing the job?

4. Whose injectors did you use, and did you replace the secondaries?

I'm just curious, but most of all make sure you drive her and enjoy all the hard work.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Well done John,

Just a few questions.

1. Why did you decide to change the injectors?

2. How many miles had the car done?

3. How much smoother is she after doing the job?

4. Whose injectors did you use, and did you replace the secondaries?

I'm just curious, but most of all make sure you drive her and enjoy all the hard work.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

In answer to your questions:

1) I had two injectors cleaned previously because they caused idle and acceleration problems. I had also heard many times that the standard injectors are very poor.

2) The car has done roughly 65,000miles.

3) I've not been able to drive her too much since, as I've just got back from Islamabad. But there is a very obvious improvement.

4) I've used the RC injectors. All I've changed is the 8 injectors. Am I right in thinking there is another 2? If so, I have no idea where lol.

John

Right, well I've had a fantastic weekend and gave the car a hard long drive.

The difference really is night and day. I got 320miles to the tank, which is the most I've ever got.

I'm convinced there is a good power increase made, since I've changed the injectors. I don't know if there should be, but the acceleration is much faster now. Especially low down in the rev range. It could be that the old injectors really were in a bad way. I don't know.

From my point of view, they were worth every penny, and every hour I spent fitting them.

John

John,

Thanks for the excellent updates throughout the upgrade process and the results of the upgrade.

I've been thinking about this upgrade and your results make me want to do it even more. So how much will I get for a kidney? I wonder if my wife would be prepared to give one up for the Esprit???

Regards,

Peter.

Right, well I've had a fantastic weekend and gave the car a hard long drive.

The difference really is night and day. I got 320miles to the tank, which is the most I've ever got.

I'm convinced there is a good power increase made, since I've changed the injectors. I don't know if there should be, but the acceleration is much faster now. Especially low down in the rev range. It could be that the old injectors really were in a bad way. I don't know.

From my point of view, they were worth every penny, and every hour I spent fitting them.

John

John,

Thanks for the excellent updates throughout the upgrade process and the results of the upgrade.

I've been thinking about this upgrade and your results make me want to do it even more. So how much will I get for a kidney? I wonder if my wife would be prepared to give one up for the Esprit???

Regards,

Peter.

Hey, She's gotta sleep some time! :hope:

John

Thanks for the info John. I'll probably look into this a little more for my car when I get back. At the very least I'll check the spray pattern.

cheers,

Stuart

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004