free hit
counters
S2 Clonking noise - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

S2 Clonking noise

Hi all,

I have a very annoying clonking noise coming from the rear of my car when I'm on bumpy roads. Any clues to what this is? THe obvious fault points towards my rear suspension but thought I'd check here first......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The engine mounts are always a favourite source of clonking noises :devil: Are they worn?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hadn't thought about the engine mounts, will have to get the manual out and have a look tomorrow after work.

If they are worn are they easy to replace Paul or is it a garage job?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Paul

Never had a running car to try it on to be honest!! I've seen other threads on here in the past that suggest taking the engine cover off and tilting the rear view mirror down so that you can see the engine whilst driving. Then take it for a drive and stomp on and off the gas and look to see if the engine physically moves.

As far as changing them goes - I guess if you can support the engine in situ it shouldn't be too bad but I'm sure somebody on here will be able to speak from experience. I believe the one near the exhaust is more prone to wear due to the heat.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Chassis to body bolts in the rear bulkhead are the usual suspects for this. Might sound stupid but also make sure the engine cover and engine bay panels are secured properly.

See this link on LEW

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...kheadPlate.html

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Ditto what Mat says...check the bulkhead mounting bolts first as it's an easy fix if they're the culprits!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Might give that a go then. I hope it doesn't get expensive......

Thanks for your help Paul.

It's a Lotus it's supposed to be expensive hahaha Let us know what it turns out to be.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I'll bet a pint of the best stuff that it is the chassis / body bolts. I love these little suckers that I re-tighten every six months or so... great design. :devil:

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Obviously check there is nothing loose in the engine bay but..... my car has a few clonks I haven't been able to trace (suspect the fuel tanks) and an annoying zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at 2200 rpm that I haven't been able to trace.

I had a clonking on bumpy roads and was given the usual list of suspects to track down. Obviously, as it's a Lotus, none of them was responsible. It turned out to be in my rear bumber which acts as a great big echo chamber. One of the inserts used to hold it on had broken through the fiberglass and was lying inside. Whenever I hit a bump it bounced round a little. Easy to sort but a pig to find.