free hit
counters
Lotus V8 Cooling Problems & Running Temp - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chrisseel

Lotus V8 Cooling Problems & Running Temp

I have had some over heating problems with a 2000 V8, the initial problem seemed to be thermostat related and subsequently an airlock, the system now has a new thermostat and has been well bleed both through the radiator and the thermostat housing bleed points, plus pressure cap replaced. The car runs up to temp and drops again as the thermostat opens, does this several times and then proceeds up to between 97-105oC occassionally 110 under pressure which seems high to me but then I can't seem to find a definative running temp in either the workshop or operating manual. I have blown out the radiator fins and given it a good flush, the water was in good condition no residue or oil etc. Also no water in the oil. Can anyone advise if this operating temp is either OK or too high (ambient air temp is between 21-25oC). I am running about 3ltrs of antifreeze/coolant stabilsedr in the system. Any comments welcome, and if too high any suggestions as to what to check next. Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A couple of years ago I had similar problems and did exactly the same as you: replaced the thermostat (although the old one was almost as clean as the new and it opened as required as tested in a pan of heated water with a thermometer to check opening temperature), blew out the fins and the like, even though the fins looked OK. Water pump seemed OK. I also replaced the left-hand turbo cooling pipe because that looked corroded. All to no avail.

Anyway, after eight months or so of head scratching and high-anxiety traffic jams - especially on the motorway - I had the spare radiator that I had recored and fitted that. Lo and behold, immediately back to "normal" i.e. 80 degrees Celsius running, occasionally 95 - 100 in a jam.

I kept the old radiator - I am going to have that recored to keep as a spare - and close inspection still suggested that the fins were clear, although they are dense and as a result, only a small build up of dust and other crud restricts airflow.

Replacing the radiator is an absolute swine. I had mine done at my local Lotus agent (Gordon Lamb). It was expensive, but so is my time and I put great score on convenience. The oil coolers and air-conditioning condensers are in the vicinity but beware: attempts to separate the couplings are thwarted by possibly seized joints. It really is tiger-country down there.

I had even got to the stage of wondering if somehow, during a repair, a cleaning towel or cloth that one uses temporarily to bung a loose pipe to prevent dirt getting in had been overlooked and was partly blocking one of the coolant lines.

Good luck!

I presume your fans are working? If so the next most likely culprit on an 8 year old Esprit would be the radiator. Despite you blowing the fins through (well done , by the way, it's usually overlooked) it's probably in a pretty poor state by now and struggling to maintain the correct temperature.

(Is there a mod to move this to tech?)

I had similar problems, but I replaced it with an S-type radiator and all is fine now.

If you run the air-con, does this prevent it from over heating?

John

I had similar problems, but I replaced it with an S-type radiator and all is fine now.

If you run the air-con, does this prevent it from over heating?

John

Yes, check that the fans are working and yes, it prevents overheating because air is constantly moving over the radiator. You can hear them blowing or if you happen to stop in a dusty area, you get clouds of dust coming out of the side of the car. First time it happend to me I thought it was steam and was having kittens thinking it was a split in the coolant system.

Next time you are in a traffic jam, have a play and see. Switch the aircon off, watch the temperature rise. Switch the aircon back on and watch the temperature fall.

Arguably, the air con should be left on permanently because it either cools the cabin (in the summer) or dehumidifies in the winter. Personal preference dictates. The important point is that the gas with its built-in lubricant is circulated.

Anyway, if you do, the fans are on permanently and not just when temperature gets up to switch-on-fans value that I think is 100 or 105. The precise value is in either the service book or owner's handbook.

I just flushed out my radiator last week. What a pain, but it is done. I also blew air and used a light water (garden hose with sprayer) in reverse flow thru the radiator openings. THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE ON MY TEMP. I could not believe how much debris came out. After bleeding (several times) my car runs below 80C in moving traffic (faster than 40mph). In standing traffic it inches up to the 100C very slowly and around 105C the fans come on and then the temp drops to around 90C to 95C.

I purchase my car in 2003 new (leftover model) so I have 5 years on my esprit with 25K miles. Most people I talked to say the life span of our radiator is around 7 to 9 years. So in two years I will be replacing mine with an extra row version.

I also switched from the

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

This is something I think I will be tackling this spring with my car as well. I don't know what kind of coolant is in my car, but almost looks clear with a very slight tinge of pink to it. It was also rated for -15 celsius which is no good for where i live (-40 celsius isn't unusual here in winter). Right now it is in heated storage, but still would like the comfort of colder stuff in there just in case.

During normal driving, though, my car always sat around 84C while cruising. When sitting in stop and go traffic the odd time temps did start to rise. At 100C i always heard the fans kick in, but the temp would usually rise to 105C-110C before dropping down to 90-95C. From what I gather, this is normal, but the coolant in the car bothers me.

This is something I think I will be tackling this spring with my car as well. I don't know what kind of coolant is in my car, but almost looks clear with a very slight tinge of pink to it. It was also rated for -15 celsius which is no good for where i live (-40 celsius isn't unusual here in winter). Right now it is in heated storage, but still would like the comfort of colder stuff in there just in case.

During normal driving, though, my car always sat around 84C while cruising. When sitting in stop and go traffic the odd time temps did start to rise. At 100C i always heard the fans kick in, but the temp would usually rise to 105C-110C before dropping down to 90-95C. From what I gather, this is normal, but the coolant in the car bothers me.

This is the problem if you do not know what brand of coolant was in your car. I believe Audi/VW/Toyota and even Chrysler used a Pink version for a couple of years. I had the "Green Stuff" but even the local dealership could not tell what brand of the Green stuff they used. Most likely Preston or Peak brand (US).

Since you should never mix colors since some do not mix well with others my only solution was to drain and flush the entire system with distilled water at least 5 times (to try to get all the old coolant out - as much as possible).

I contacted Lotus and they indicated almost any new formula coolant (OAT - Organic Acid Technology) can be used if the system is flushed out. I used the Honda Blue stuff because it has no silicates and this coolant is used in aluminum engines (I also have two other Hondas so one coolant is more convenient). I know a lot of people that use the Toyota pink/red stuff or the Zerex G-05 without any problems. It is really a personal preference and how much you want to spend. The Honda and Toyota coolants are about $15 to $20 per gallon usually premixed. While the Zerex G-05 is around $10 non-premix (need to mix it with water).

I used 3.35 gals to refill my Esprit coolant system (manual says 16qts

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

A couple of years ago I had similar problems and did exactly the same as you: replaced the thermostat (although the old one was almost as clean as the new and it opened as required as tested in a pan of heated water with a thermometer to check opening temperature), blew out the fins and the like, even though the fins looked OK. Water pump seemed OK. I also replaced the left-hand turbo cooling pipe because that looked corroded. All to no avail.

Anyway, after eight months or so of head scratching and high-anxiety traffic jams - especially on the motorway - I had the spare radiator that I had recored and fitted that. Lo and behold, immediately back to "normal" i.e. 80 degrees Celsius running, occasionally 95 - 100 in a jam.

I kept the old radiator - I am going to have that recored to keep as a spare - and close inspection still suggested that the fins were clear, although they are dense and as a result, only a small build up of dust and other crud restricts airflow.

Replacing the radiator is an absolute swine. I had mine done at my local Lotus agent (Gordon Lamb). It was expensive, but so is my time and I put great score on convenience. The oil coolers and air-conditioning condensers are in the vicinity but beware: attempts to separate the couplings are thwarted by possibly seized joints. It really is tiger-country down there.

I had even got to the stage of wondering if somehow, during a repair, a cleaning towel or cloth that one uses temporarily to bung a loose pipe to prevent dirt getting in had been overlooked and was partly blocking one of the coolant lines.

Good luck!

Thanks, I was wondering if this might be the answer. Might try hosing out the fins with water rather than air aswell

Yes, check that the fans are working and yes, it prevents overheating because air is constantly moving over the radiator. You can hear them blowing or if you happen to stop in a dusty area, you get clouds of dust coming out of the side of the car. First time it happend to me I thought it was steam and was having kittens thinking it was a split in the coolant system.

Next time you are in a traffic jam, have a play and see. Switch the aircon off, watch the temperature rise. Switch the aircon back on and watch the temperature fall.

Arguably, the air con should be left on permanently because it either cools the cabin (in the summer) or dehumidifies in the winter. Personal preference dictates. The important point is that the gas with its built-in lubricant is circulated.

Anyway, if you do, the fans are on permanently and not just when temperature gets up to switch-on-fans value that I think is 100 or 105. The precise value is in either the service book or owner's handbook.

Running the heater helps, drops the temp 5-10oC, fans are coming on at about 105 which I think is normal. Will test with AC on today, thanks

I presume your fans are working? If so the next most likely culprit on an 8 year old Esprit would be the radiator. Despite you blowing the fins through (well done , by the way, it's usually overlooked) it's probably in a pretty poor state by now and struggling to maintain the correct temperature.

Was afraid radiator replacement might be the answer. Fans are working OK, will try hosing the fins with water as per another suggestion then will bite the bullet. Thanks

(Is there a mod to move this to tech?)

JoeyO,

When you say you flushed your system 5 times with distilled water, do you mean you filled the system and ran the car briefly and drained?? Right now my car is in storage so it will have to wait til spring once the weather warms up and I have time to put it on the pit. Also wanna remove the cats at the same time.

Steve

JoeyO,

When you say you flushed your system 5 times with distilled water, do you mean you filled the system and ran the car briefly and drained?? Right now my car is in storage so it will have to wait til spring once the weather warms up and I have time to put it on the pit. Also wanna remove the cats at the same time.

Steve

Yes that is correct. Drain... reconnect all hoses... fill with distilled water... bleed system.... then bleed system again.... run until temp reach above 95C.... then let cooled and then repeat the process all over again. Did it 5 times, even after the 5th time the distilled water still showed a very very slight tint of green. Refilled with the Honda Blue stuff, car runs fine.

1st time it took me about 1 hr to drain and refill. In the end I had it down to 30 minutes (not including allowing the car to cool off).

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I should also mention that I have had starting difficulty when the car is hot as well, the coils are new and fuel pressure has been tested. Anyone else experienced this? Is it just temperature related?

hello,

I need to check the coolant temperature sensor, but I want to know if when I remove the sensor the coolant go outside or I need to empty all coolant for remove the sensor?

on the image attached is the circled one?

post-407-1203685637.jpg

thanks and sorry for my perfect english :)

Greetings,albino.