free hit
counters
bit to be powder coated - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

bit to be powder coated

i have now found a good powder coater who will do the two layer coating for me and they are not too far to goto either, best thing is they will do verything i want which is , pre clean, degrease, pre bake pre coat and then add the wet coat halfway through the bake process.

quick question, im going to have the rear hub carriers coated and possibly the radius arms will i need to remove the bearing and spacer from the carrier or is it ok to leave them in? i can take them to my old engineering shop and get them pressed out on his machine there so its no issue, the left rear will be coming out as it needs to be changed anyway but i dont want to disturb the right one unless i need to, and to be honest if i do take it out i will just change it anyway.

i was going to try and get the gearbox done before donny but it looks like its not going to happen with this weather, but im not giving up hope yet.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

powder coating involves heat, i have had a few problems too trying to get bearings back in when they havent masked off properly, powder coat is thick and tricky to get off!

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

the guys im going to use are pros at powder coating, i thought about it and heat wouldnt be a factor on the bearings given that due to the friction constant at high speed travel they would get a little hotter than anything in the baking oven. however they will need degreasing first so i will have to take the bearings out i think.

Yes Simon mate, i would play it safe and remove the bearings, The thing is if you leave them in and they get damaged by

the heat i.e the seals and so on, your only going to end up changing them anyway and by doing so proberly mess up

your new spankly paint work, I would get them to cover up the holes and press the bearings back in afterwards!

Like you said though i have never seen inside a powder coating oven so it may not be that bad, but i would not take the risk,

Also find out what temprature they the oven reaches as it may not be to good for the uprights if i remeber somebody

saying, but dont hold me to that :D

regards danny

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

A

Guest Slegs

I agree with taking the bearings out before taking to the powder coaters. I worked for a powder coating company here in the U.S. and it was a great perk to get your parts done for free (not sure why I actually quit now?!). Anyway, the oven temp can vary, but it usually bakes the parts at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. They have heat resistant tape that can be used to cover all areas that you don't want painted. What color are you going for? I'm considering having all my suspension and possibly the chassis powder coated as well.

John

over here the ovens usually goto a max of 210 as the size isnt as big as a large commercial one in the states that does chassis for cars. so they dont need to have it all the way up and the powder is rated for that temp as well.

i will need to rub the parts down first anyway to lose the roughness of the cast

Si what are you doing to your car? I keep seeing all your posts. any chance of some more pics? I'm always up for ideas on what to do with mine.

I had a look at up at Hethel at the 40th looked good.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

im doing nothing really i just saw some really nice detailed cars and thought hmmm that would look nice and subtle to do on the cars exposed areas thats all really. im not doing anything silly or garish, im not that daft.

i had my carpet samples from nick fulcher this morning and the very first one that fell out of the envelope numberd 1 is funnily enough the one i picked! the interior is going to really stay the same tan leather, just get it cleaned up and get rid of the rouche sections and change for the same colour leather but nice and tight and smooth.

the seats need to be done, i have spoken with nick in great detail about hem and sent pictures, kelly is deciding if i can blow the cash that would be needed to get them done on "a pair of bloody seats!!" as she said to me.

i will fit the carpet myself thats easy enough and now i have my workshop with workbench out hte back i can template the interior and then trim them in there before fitting them.

i should have my pedals in the next day or so, i have bought some very nice italian aluminium pedals for now as the original pedals are wearing through and they will do until i get my others made.

i have a few other things i want to do, like i said nothing horrible or garish, just minimal and tasteful.

FWIW, I'd be very cautious about coating aluminum castings. Best to know exactly what process and temperature is used as some can approach the annealing temperature of the alloy if not carefully controlled. Not sure it's worth doing on something as critical as the hub carriers unless you can be sure it won't get distorted in the process.

Good luck. Post pics. :thumbsup:

Eric

well i have spoken to them about it and they say they have powder coated many things for cars in suspension parts etc however , i may see if i can find one even a broken one and get them to use it as a test piece. thats a good idea then i will know from there, but i have asked them some very in depth questions as reccomended by an american guy i know who wroks in an auto powder coaters out in calif and from what they have said he thinks that it should be ok.

Read with interest about powder coating, I am in the process of getting all my suspension done bit by bit, really makes quite a difference, I started by getting the bits I wanted done shot-blasted then dipped in Zinc and finally powder coated

It really makes quite a difference, all bushes and stuff are covered by heat resistant tape so there can be no damage, I was relly impressed how the springs turned out and looked really smart. So now I am going to get the anti-roll bar done and the rest of the suspension set up complete with new bolts all round

post-2216-1206071749.jpg

post-2216-1206072240.jpg