free hit
counters
oil change. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

When does the engine oil require changing?

Last changed it 2 yeras ago with new filter. Used Castrol RS 10w/60. Car only done 1500ish miles since. Does this stuff "go off" with time?

Just wondered what you guys reckon.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go for a little drive to warn it all up, drop it out and fill with fresh and a new filter, give the car a treat :thumbsup: do the gearbox oil as well while your at it :)

Simon, I do know how to change the oil, but after 2 years and 1500 miles do you reckon that it does need changing?

I can't believe oil goes 'off' in the engine anymore than it would in a can...... Mine's done about 2,000 miles since the oil & filter change 15 months ago & its still quite clean. No reason to think petrol is draining into the sump, no 'foam' in the oil filler cap indicating moisture. Probably do a change again next winter, along with the cambelt ....

I don't drive it like DFV powered F1 car so I don't think its being unduly stressed ....

I'm no oil expert, but I have done a lot of reading out of my own curiosity. My understanding is that synthetic oil can stay in the car for years, but dinosaur oil gets broken down by acids that are a byproduct of the combustion process. I don't know how true this is; hopefully it is a start in the right direction to find out more.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I'm no oil expert, but I have done a lot of reading out of my own curiosity. My understanding is that synthetic oil can stay in the car for years, but dinosaur oil gets broken down by acids that are a byproduct of the combustion process. I don't know how true this is; hopefully it is a start in the right direction to find out more.

Think you'r right Tony, most people I guess will just have it changed in accordance with the normal Lotus service procedure, but as I dont book car in for servicing I reckon maybe change oil+filter every 4 years or 4000 miles?

I dont want to set off alarm in the community, but I recall reading somewhere on an 'oil' website that there was a concept of changing your oil too often (not just the cost) I seem to remember that 8000 miles was considered optimal for a synthetic - unfortunately I cant remember the reason or where I read it. I am sure somebody here will either confirm or deny this!

cheers Steve 84 turbo

Hey Steve -- I for one don't want to change it too often simply because even if you prime the filter to the max, you still run longer without oil pressure at that first startup than normally!

That said, I do change my synthetic oil at mineral oil mileages (between 3k-4k); it takes me a loooong time for me to do 5000, 7500, 8000, etc. miles! :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

think about it the oil is only the transporter,what protects the engine is the additives within the oil.they could break down through time,is it not a good feeling knowing that from cold to hot or whatever you know your protecting your hard/high rev. engine also i think clean oil keeps the engine well balanced.at the moment i use MOBIL 1 only with a LOTUS FILTER ye the oil has a long way too travel up to the head also fill the filter with oil maybe to help abit.WE LIKE A CLEAN BATH TO WASH,AS TO THE ENGINE NEEDS CLEAN OIL cheers lostu.ps as the other guys mentioned change gearbox oil.

According to the Mobil Oil Technical Bulletin #863,

"Oil does not wear-out, break-down, or otherwise deteriorate to the point that it needs to be replaced. It does become contaminated with water, acids, carbon and sludge so that it can no longer provide the protection needed for high precision engine components."

Therefore if you have not used the car for the set amount of miles then it does not need changing, ie it is the use and temp that causes the contamination not the time its in there.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

i usually just see how black it looks on the dip stick

if it's not looking similar colour to the stuff that comes out of the bottle... it gets changed

It is a difficult question but for the piece of mint I do a servicing full synthetic oil each 10000 kms or 4 years witch is first.

Jean

The Dark Oil Myth

Dark oil does not indicate the need for an oil change. The way modern detergent motor oil works is that minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken. A non-detergent oil would stay clearer than a detergent oil because all the soot would be left on the internal engine parts and would create sludge. If you never changed your oil, eventually the oil would no longer be able to suspend any more particles in the oil and sludge would form. Fortunately, by following the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, you are changing your oil long before the oil has become saturated. Remember, a good oil should get dirty as it does it's work cleaning out the engine. The dispersant should stop all the gunk from depositing in the oil pan.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

wow... seems like i've been royaly told off

ill bear all that in mind.... yet the price of oil, and the fact it really isn't a difficult job, i dont think changing the oil every 6months or so is a bad thing?

wow... seems like i've been royaly told off

ill bear all that in mind.... yet the price of oil, and the fact it really isn't a difficult job, i dont think changing the oil every 6months or so is a bad thing?

The price of a decent oil with filter is almost

Wasn't meaning to tell anyone off sorry if it cam across like that.

But you must rember there are a lot of myths as the oil companies are eager for you to buy there product.

Amateurs built the Ark

Wasn't meaning to tell anyone off sorry if it cam across like that.

Chris, tell me off as much as you want....suits me sir, suits me! :thumbup:

And Baz, I know you keep it a secret, but is'nt your Elise RED with a RED roof? Kettle and black spring to mind!

mmmm you're right of course.... it does depend on mileage and usage

i've done alot more miles in my car since it was last done (maybe about 3000-4000 who knows)

so i often forget there are people out there who dont drive their cars as much as i :thumbup:

I have changed my oil 4 times in the last 125 miles. Is this a bit obsessive? :lol:;)

OK, generally it's every year or 1500 miles for me, but i find this best as i have difficulty measuring the oil (dry sump), and this way i always know there is enough oil in ;)

another thing, because of the obsession, those that know me ( most of the world now ;) ),know that i have avoided major problems because i spotted potential disasters before they came one.

If you change the oil regular, there in no need for fully syn (unless it is specified or you are intentionally ragging the ass off the engine !) have you heard or feel that they are better?, Lotus have done a hell of a lot of research on this, so why ignore them?. I still use the oil recommended in the manual for the car - Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w50.

Give her a service, don't be a cheapskate you look after her, she will look after you, just don't let her know you are selling her ( my mistake )........ they know :lol:

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Give her a service, don't be a cheapskate you look after her, she will look after you, just don't let her know you are selling her ( my mistake )........ they know :lol:

So in other words, treat it the same as the wife!

If you're interested you can read all you'll ever want to know about oil here.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Also, when you're changing the oil, if you leave it over night before removing the filter you'll find, when you do remove it, that it will be empty and so not make a mess on the floor. :)

Cheers,

John W

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk