free hit
counters
Powdercoating new OZ wheels - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Riddlemr2

Powdercoating new OZ wheels

As some of you might know, I just bought a set of OZ Nova wheels + tires from an '03 V8. The wheels were in perfect condition with relatively new Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tires. I took them to my mechanic today to have the tires taken off for powdercoating but he shredded the sidewall of the first tire he tried to remove. He agreed to buy me a new tire and sent me to Discount Tire where they have equipment that can actually handle the 285-35-18 tire. Unfortunately, they won't remove and replace the other tire as it has small "dry rot" cracks that might lead to failure after the stress of removal and replacement...

The 285-35-18 has been discontinued by Dunlop but my local Discount Tire found the one remaining tire in their whole nationwide stock and it is on its way to me. For now I have shelved my powdercoating idea and will either live with the silver color or use Dupli-color wheel coating to paint them black.

I love the look of black wheels on a black car...is it really worth it? Should I just stick with the silver color?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Its obviously personal preference, but I prefer the look of the natural finish on dark colored cars. You may try taking the wheels to a high end dealership (Lotus, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, etc). They generally have the correct equipment to remove the tires without damage to the wheel.

Edited by talon

Keep the Nova's silver.

I sent you a PM Dave.

Edited by GregWO

Just replace all the tires, they're 5+ years old, have "dry rot" cracks and the tire shop won't take them on/off - that's telling you something! Next time you're traveling 100 mph+ ask yourself if your life is really worth the cost of a set of tires? BTW keep em silver :thumbup:

Edited by fmxa

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Good point about replacing the tires. I know I would feel better dealing a known entity rather that potentially dangerous tires.

I agree replace them tyres IMMEDIATELY then do what you like with the rims.

Toyo's are cheap and brilliant so i'd go that way if i were you.

Good luck.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Dave, a couple things:

1. Tell your mechanice to buy a Corghi Artiglio Master from me. It does all the large high-end stuff. It's only about 16k or so. I'll give him a deal! :lol:

2. You could try a Merchant'sTire. The are owned by Sumitomo and you might get a good deal. I believe they make a tire for those rims.

3. I just got my car back from Foriegn Accents in Greensboro. I had the output shaft seal replaced and got a flush and fill on the radiator. I have a lot of confidence on the tech they have there who worked on my car. He's worked on a early 90's one before, plus did plenty of research to make sure he got the cooling system bled right. If you want to give them a try 336-852-4952 & ask for Michael Moriarty. Tell them you know me. I don't know if they are pricey or not since they haven't charged me yet. (I'm hoping I got another freebie!) --Steve

Sign in to follow this