free hit
counters
Iphone Car Installation - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Iphone Car Installation

Dasar7

Has anybody who has an Iphone (or Ipod for that matter) tried to install them through the Lotus? Preferable without wiring i.e. blutooth?

And does anybody have any real world experience with bluetooth sound quality on their audio system. Got an Iphone a while back & want to install a new head unit in the car, preferable incorporating Iphone in for both music & phone controls (although phone controls aren't critical).

The sound quality doesn't have to the perfect (after all there's a ruddy great engine just over my shoulder) but I want the system to look neat.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. B)

Thanks

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got my 60gig Ipod connected to an Alpine head unit that controls all its functions. It is hard wired from the back of the unit into the glovebox where the Ipod sits. no wires on display, but as it's hard wired great sound quality. Mine is nearly 2 years old now and the latest version has a full colour screen that mimics the Ipod. I know Bibs has this, and he has an Iphone so he is probably the man to ask.

I have recently been looking at an Alpine indash DVD player with Ipod/Iphone connectivity and Blue tooth. The touch sensitive screen controls all functions Mmmmmmmm, now if I could just convince my company I need an Iphone? :thumbsup:

The Alpine system is definitely the way to go for sheer use-abilty of your ipod/iphone functions. The current unit is the IDA X001 ( Clicky ) but if you don't mind waiting for a few months, the latest generation Alpine gear will be released which will include the confusingly callled IDA X100 ( Clicky ).

This latest headunit offers a more intuative way of selecting songs/tracks etc and the (extra cost) bluetooth device stores your phonebok so you get caller id displayed, rather than just the phone number.

The bluetooth device allows music streaming from compatible phones on the new headunit. (X100)

That's the one I have, the 001. I fitted it (myself! :thumbup:) yesterday and it's tres cool! You will need the add-on bluetooth unit to use it for a handsfree, it's an extra

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I installed a Pioneer DEH-P980BT stereo into my S4 last summer. I bought this particular stereo because it has bluetooth audio on board. Your sending device must have A2DP bluetooth support to send music appropriately. The iPhone does not have this ability natively. There was the ability after the 1.1.2 update to send audio over bluetooth, but this was only mono, and actually a bug on the software. Scosche makes some bluetooth adapters that will plug into the multipin port on the bottom of the iPhone and transmit A2DP to the stereo. I do this with my iPod Touch in my other car. In the Esprit I use the Nokia N800. It has the ability to send music over A2DP directly to the stereo. Sorry for the blurriness of the attached picture. When the Esprit comes out of winter storage I plan to snap some new pics for my Owners Page.

http://www.scosche.com/scosche.bluetooth

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

Here's a pic. I must say from the first day I'm pretty underwhelmed. Looks lovely but pretty light on features and the UI is poor. :thumbup:

photo-4.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Cheers everybody, looks like the Alpine may be the way to go, (except for the horrible bright blue lights - it just looks out of place in the Esprit).

Will do some further research & perhaps wait for the new Alpine to come out.

Bibs, it's been a while since I fitted a head unit in a car, but was it easy enough yourself if you are careful, or are you some kind of audio wiz? (Just concerned about other 'people' installing things on my baby & being careful).

On this subject.......nearly, I would like to fit some speakers to mine. The last time I had this done on the SE they cut behind the seats to mount large speakers etc.

Is ther anything on the market that would replace the existing and give good sound? Specifically I mean a sub - I think there must be modern replacements for the door and dash mounts............any ideas?

It has to be hidden from view and not take up room????

Oh, bluetooth on the iphone can be sketchy although mine works ok in the Milkfloat - Lexus are having problems with some units not wanting to pair. :thumbup:

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

David - It's 11 wires, 8 for the speakers and then the earth, pos and switched pos. If I can do it...! The trickiest part is access as the wires are quite tight but it only took an hour or so.

Tony, you can get floor mounted subs which are as good as flat and need no depth that you can stick under the seats.

Evora NA

Cheers everybody, looks like the Alpine may be the way to go, (except for the horrible bright blue lights - it just looks out of place in the Esprit).

Will do some further research & perhaps wait for the new Alpine to come out.

Bibs, it's been a while since I fitted a head unit in a car, but was it easy enough yourself if you are careful, or are you some kind of audio wiz? (Just concerned about other 'people' installing things on my baby & being careful).

On my Alpine unit you have the choice between blue & red lighting (menu settings) so I have gone for Red to match the dash back lighting.

On this subject.......nearly, I would like to fit some speakers to mine. The last time I had this done on the SE they cut behind the seats to mount large speakers etc.

Is ther anything on the market that would replace the existing and give good sound? Specifically I mean a sub - I think there must be modern replacements for the door and dash mounts............any ideas?

It has to be hidden from view and not take up room????

Oh, bluetooth on the iphone can be sketchy although mine works ok in the Milkfloat - Lexus are having problems with some units not wanting to pair. :lol:

Here is a picture of the Alpine powered sub I fitted. I am going to move it down behind the passenger seat as its in the way where it is. I fitted it there originally because I thought it looked cool, kinda Flux Capacitorish.

• 4 months later...

I've sacked off the Alpine unit as it was as rubbish as I initially thought.

I've now got the Parrot RK8200 and it's very, very clever and works brilliantly with the iPhone :whistle:

parrot-rk8200.jpg

Evora NA

Yup, it's pretty good at it too.

Get to Halfords, they're for sale in there and you can have a play before you buy or you're welcome to see mine at the Oxon meet if you're there :whistle:

Evora NA

that sounds bad..............

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Bibs, I've been looking at the Parrott as well. I have an iPod Touch i.e. an iPhone without the phone. When it is hooked up to the unit for music, can the head unit still talk to a separate handset via Bluetooth and make use of the microphone and speakers? Or is it either the phone or the Touch that is connected and hidden away, not both?

I would certainly imagine so as the connection for the touch is nothing to do with the seperate bluetooth connection.

Evora NA

• 3 weeks later...