free hit
counters
clutch slip? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

clutch slip?

hello everyone.

when i put the foot down there seems to be a slight clutch slip between 1st and 2nd gear, driving normal its fine also happens when dropping down a gear and flooring it it seems as though the engine has too much torque for the clutch. there is no smell or squeeling from the clutch and only happens when giving it some wellie.

can these be adjusted or will i be looking at an uprated clutch in the next few months. The L.E.W. site says to double de-clutch on change down. i know the fly wheel was skimed a couple of years ago looking at the bills so maybe its getting ready for a new clutch

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Pete,

If your clutch has gone it doesn't necessarily mean you need an uprated one. Lotus standard clutch is plenty good enough for even moderator modified Esprits.

I don't think there's any real adjustment to talk about. You could measure the amount the clutch fork moves to make sure your clutch isn't dragging but general rule of thumb, it's signs are clutch wearing out.

Dave

Hi Peter,

Usually cutch slip is most noticable in higher gears. In 1st and 2nd gear it usually clutch slip does not occur ... its more tire slip in 1st and 2nd ;o)

If your clutch is on its way out you should get the most prominent slip around 3500-4000 rpm in 4th gear.

BTW, there is nothing to adjust with this type of hydraulic clutch mechanism.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

hello everyone.

when i put the foot down there seems to be a slight clutch slip between 1st and 2nd gear, driving normal its fine also happens when dropping down a gear and flooring it it seems as though the engine has too much torque for the clutch. there is no smell or squeeling from the clutch and only happens when giving it some wellie.

can these be adjusted or will i be looking at an uprated clutch in the next few months. The L.E.W. site says to double de-clutch on change down. i know the fly wheel was skimed a couple of years ago looking at the bills so maybe its getting ready for a new clutch

all the best

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

thanks Marcus. the slip only occurrs when accellerating quickley from 1st to 2nd from2nd to 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th its fine unless i drop down a gear when moving quickly so it looks like a trip to the garage in a few months. wife probbably rides the clutch when she has it as well.

all the best

Get it sorted mate.

Mine did the same, i limped it down to steve williams and it smelt like fire when i got

there. If you think it's the clutch and it can still be driven then use those miles to get

it to the doctor. I drove about too much 'testing' for what it could be before deciding.

:thumbup:

I always heel-toe on downshifts, I have never found that double clutching is needed. Infact the Lotus usually shifts better at higher rpms on the track, with just heel-toe, than it does at slow speeds on the street.

DO NOT drive the car if it has a badly slipping clutch! Several Esprits have burned to the ground by people that put off replacing the clutch and kept driving.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

the garage where i will have the clutch replaced is only a couple of hundered yards up the road from me. i will be getting a quote in the next few days for the fitting

I went for the r+b 35% uprated but then i run a little more boost than standard :thumbup:

Didn't need changing as it turned out but prevention/upgrade/uprate/improve is better than cure whilst on roadside i feel!

Good advice above though.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

the clutch is not slipping badly like i say its only when i boot it, and its a split second then it grips, a bit like the turbo coming in. usually when the clutch slips on a car the revs go up but not the case

Guest Troy Halliday

The problem is the more slip that occurs the more likely you are to burn the face of the friction disc. The more this happens the the worse it will get. Best to change it as soon as you can rather than facing another additional bill of transportig it to the garage.

and looking at prices the +25% clutch from marcus looks damn good price at around

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Karl,

As i said mine didn't need it around 50k but for the value for money cost over the potential problem of if and when it does go - go for it i say. Think the 35% i bought was Valeo (same make as standard IIRC)

Someone may disagree.

140? Have you de-tuned it then?

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

If you can smell hot oil and not burning clutch plate it is possible you have a front gearbox seal or rear main seal leaking onto your friction plate, causing it to slip...

if this is the case you will need to fix the oil leak and replace the friction plate.

I have just had my friction plate Re - Skinned by a local manufacturer, which i am sure there would be one over there in UK.

This is considerably cheaper and they can upgrade the fibrous material to a higher hp rating if you like.

Mine cost AUD$88 and is good for 400hp.

if you cannot get it done over there it would be cheaper to send it to OZ and done, it still works out cheaper than the genuine part.

This is the second one i have had done by this bloke, the first one only failing due to user error, with me missing 5th at 55oorpm and hitting 3rd - DOH!

resulted in grenaded friction plate, however still possible to rebuild it.

Hope this helps

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...