free hit
counters
Setting up alloy wastegate capsules! - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
scoule

Setting up alloy wastegate capsules!

After much arguing with the warranty company, I managed to convince them to pay for a pair of alloy wastegate capsules from PNM to replace the originals ... this probably was more related to the fact that a pair was cheaper than a single unit from Lotus combined with Lotus dealer fitting charges. Getting anything out of the squirming b*****s has to be considered a success though :-)

Now I just need to set them up .. I understand how to measure the movement with dial gauge etc, I'm just wondering how people generate and measure 5psi accurately to set them up?

I do have a hand vacuum pump, but I don't think it has a pressure side outlet that I can hook into .. Half of the pump searches I try on ebay seem to end up with and array of devices designed to increase manhood size!!!

Edited by scoule

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

You need a pressure pump, NOT a vacuum pump thats why the willy-increase-pumps wont work here ;o)

A hand pressure pump with a gauge on it and a rubber pressure hose attached is quite fine for doing that.

Best method is setting both capsules to 0.35-0.4 bar in a way that they are just moving.

Then you install the pressure lines with the T-piece and apply your pump here as well. Now you should pay attention that both capsule-rods are moving out 100% simultaneously. Thats very important. When both capsule rods are beginning to move 100% simultaneously around 0.35-0.4 bar then youre done.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

After much arguing with the warranty company, I managed to convince them to pay for a pair of alloy wastegate capsules from PNM to replace the originals ... this probably was more related to the fact that a pair was cheaper than a single unit from Lotus combined with Lotus dealer fitting charges. Getting anything out of the squirming b*****s has to be considered a success though :-)

Now I just need to set them up .. I understand how to measure the movement with dial gauge etc, I'm just wondering how people generate and measure 5psi accurately to set them up?

I do have a hand vacuum pump, but I don't think it has a pressure side outlet that I can hook into .. Half of the pump searches I try on ebay seem to end up with and array of devices designed to increase manhood size!!!

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

I can't seem to find a pressure pump (in between working!). I was looking for hand pumps, but pressure pumps seem much rarer than vac pumps. I've noticed that some vac pumps also have a positive pressure outlet even if the gauge is vac only .. unfortunately my vac pump doesn't!

Something like the lumbar support pumps for seats might work with a gauge added, although I'm not sure if they'd make it to the 0.35-0.4 bar range!

Any ingenious solutions or cheap sources of pressure pumps?!

a good bicycle pump with a foot actuated step pedal ?! It depends on he scale of the gauge in the lower range....

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

You can take your vac pump apart and reverse it, I've see it done before.

Have you got your capsules yet?

Dave Walters

Go to a decent cycle shop and ask for a Shock Absorber pump.

They are ideal! - About the size of a pen (!) but made to pump very high pressures in small increments.

I use one with a separate pressure gauge and it works a treat!

HTH.

Yep, I got the capsules today. I missed the courier yesterday and had to wait for redelivery today.

They look so much better than the originals. I've already dismantled them to align the output shafts to match the original. I was too scared to twist the shaft in case it was attached to the diaphragm.

Hmm .. thanks for the tip dave, I'll take a look at my vac pump... judging by the way it seems to "breathe" as it pumps, mine might well be the type that can be reversed!

I'm also wondering if the fact that one of my capsules was effectively an open vent to the manifold vac line would be causing the lumpy tickover I currently have - but only at the slowest tickover speed (around 850). It's smooth at higher engine speeds and pulls fine with no misfire. Plugs have been replaced, leads checked etc .. fingers crossed the capsules will fix it too!