free hit
counters
S350 Rear Wing Width - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
th4neuk

S350 Rear Wing Width

Would any of the S350 owners out there with the wider rear wing be able to measure it for me and let me know the size etc please??

I gather there are 2 sizes for these??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As far as I know there are two different widths of wing and two sorts of end plate or winglets, also some different finishes, some colour coded, some glossy and some matt with visible weave..

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

cheers all.

gives me an idea.

ta

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Sort of ish.

Will post up when done.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Whoever made the wings for Lotus didn't use UV protection in the epoxy. That's why some of the early spoilers went yellow or flaky.

I got mine painted body coloured.. I don't need to prove to anyone it's Carbon fibre :)

I just sourced this from the LotusBuzz forum as I think this info should be added to this forum with regards to wing sizes. This info came from the man himself: Brian Angus.

The original project specified the "Wide Wing"

The car was type approved for Europe with this part.

Subsiquent legislation required the wing to be shortened to continue European approval.

There was a running change during the production of the Sport 350.

There may seem to be a mix of wings as the cars could have entered /left the production line in an order different to the increasing serial number or the Sport 350 ID number.

The federal cars would have been built with the wing that was in production at the time.

350.gifNo.23

Guest surferphil

Does anyone have a pattern for the legs and wing tips?

I just bought a wing without legs or tips, but I'm perfectly happy to make my own, however I'd like them to be as they should be on the car.

Thanks,

Phil

on a 1978 S1 ?!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Is this the one you bought off Ebay the other week for £199? It has aftermarket endplates doesn't it?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the overall length of ths wing as there are two different widths?

I have brand new Lotus uprights and I think I have the gaskets as well. I might part with them.

They would be tricky to make as they are handed, and are hollow. Best making some from scratch.

I also have a 2D CAd drawing which I made some uprights for Alan Croft's V8 which I have tilted back by another 25 so the wing hangs over the rear end better. I thought the S350 wing and the V8 SE wing mounted on the tailgate sat too far forward.

Guest surferphil

on a 1978 S1 ?!

Yes, it will make it go faster. :hrhr:

No, not really, although I like your thinking! It's going on the Elan M100 track car which has a very floaty back end (thanks to a very curved boot lid and a low boot floor) which I am reshaping to match the esprit; as it likes to try and overtake when braking into corners (not that you need brakes on an M100)

Is this the one you bought off Ebay the other week for £199? It has aftermarket endplates doesn't it?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the overall length of ths wing as there are two different widths?

I have brand new Lotus uprights and I think I have the gaskets as well. I might part with them.

They would be tricky to make as they are handed, and are hollow. Best making some from scratch.

I also have a 2D CAd drawing which I made some uprights for Alan Croft's V8 which I have tilted back by another 25 so the wing hangs over the rear end better. I thought the S350 wing and the V8 SE wing mounted on the tailgate sat too far forward.

That's the one, although the end plates were not included in the sale (just in the photo). Its span is shorter than expected, I was quite surprised when I bought it, as I didn't know there was a short span version. the Sport 350s I have seen had the longer wing span. I'll measure it if you like?

Can I afford to buy the uprights? will you part with them? If I find I can copy them, I will (so they get preserved), I'm pretty good at making things and have CF, Epoxy and enthusiasm. :lol:

There are a few design considerations I can instantly think of, for positioning the wing:

1/ The wing may sit forward to put downforce closer to the rear wheel line, the further back the wing goes, the more it will lift the front of the car.

2/ The wing only works in a clean airflow, so the shape of the rest of the car will affect the wing position. I believe Lotus used a wind tunnel to aide design. :on2long:

3/ Type approval can dictate the most bizzar design limitations. Or the wing might have been be easy to fit to that part of the car.

4/ The wing looked nice where it is.

My money is on the first and last: "put it about there! yes thats nice" (that's how I would have positioned it). :innocent:

This is the project car:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?app=garage&do=view&id=585

Secretly I'd like a Sport 350 next, I will have to save up when I finish all my other projects. :)

a wide rear overhang of the wing does not only mean a lot of lift on the front, as the important point is: you can mainly achieve the same downforce on the rear axle as with any standart wing, but with an more flat positioning (what means less drag..?!) -the thing with force & lever as you know.. :lol:

What is interesting -is the M100 only used on private track-days , or even on some sort of Lotus/FIA backed cup races ? ...is it allowed to change the cars dimension and shape that much after all ?

Guest surferphil

a wide rear overhang of the wing does not only mean a lot of lift on the front, as the important point is: you can mainly achieve the same downforce on the rear axle as with any standart wing, but with an more flat positioning (what means less drag..?!) -the thing with force & lever as you know.. :lol:

What is interesting -is the M100 only used on private track-days , or even on some sort of Lotus/FIA backed cup races ? ...is it allowed to change the cars dimension and shape that much after all ?

You can, but if you go too far it will 'stall' and then just becomes a spoiler and creates more drag, I think an increase in surface area can increase downforce more efficiently. Or remove the bulge for the stop lamp. :)

I'd say it was subtle 'Preperation' and it depends on the Series and class in that series. Not many M100s on track. Engine is useually the dictating factor for modifying so I am led to believe, and that's factory at the moment until I test the car and find a series I can compete in, otherwise it will just be a track day car.

I'd like to have a closer look at a sport 350 and take some measurments of the rear lip of the body. According to the article in LEW, the shape of the rear deck and the wing type are integral. I'd also like to make sure the wing sits at the same horizontal plane when fitted to the Elan. :innocent:

interesting project you have there ! ...especially if you mention the number of still existing original M100 in contrast to the Elise production figures ? Isn't the M100 now becomming a 'collectors item' ...what means riscy to compete in any offensive races

Guest surferphil

interesting project you have there ! ...especially if you mention the number of still existing original M100 in contrast to the Elise production figures ? Isn't the M100 now becomming a 'collectors item' ...what means riscy to compete in any offensive races

I have 5 M100s at the moment. The NA is the rarest (1 of 129 made). The bit's I stripped off helped keep other cars on the road and this one was an insurance write off, with no interior when I bought it. Another one is a full build from parts from the Lotus warehouse sell off. I think the NA is the collectors item, as it's totally original and runs like a dream, can't afford to keep it though. I should have sold at least 2 M100s by the summer.

Hahaaa.. that's what i say everytime that it should be possible to build an entire car by those *after-sales* forum lists... There is a asking for parts regularly in our German Lotus board. Especially as the number of originals (not converted KIA-roadsters..) is probably lower in Germany. If you want to sell some special parts just offer it in *www.lotus-forum.de* in the 'Biete/Suche' section..