free hit
counters
X-180R technical info - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kjakk

X-180R technical info

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wonder if that would be any help in getting a correct alignment on my car. I went with a size wheel that is most similar to the X-180R. It seems to drive fine now but I have an adjustable suspension setup to install and some adjustable top links that I need put on also, so I will need it to be setup correctly after that.

I have V8 wheels, which cause more alignment problems than the 16"ers of the X180-R.

In my case I went with a hybrid of the SE and V8 alignment settings, and have been very happy.

I went with SE castor, and front camber, V8 front toe-out (.1deg per side), and V8 rear camber (~-1.1 to -1.5 deg).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I thought about that, but I figured I should try to go by the book, if there is one.

I have 16" x 8.5 fronts and 17" x 10 rear wheels, and I think that the X-180R had 16's all around so maybe that wont even be exactly what I need. I was trying to get closer to the X-180 look and also the V8 size. I am planning on lowering the car a little also, so that may have an impact on the settings right?

I am a little worried that I will need to provide this information to the shop doing the work so they will set it to whatever I tell them, or will they know how to set it up?

Chuck

I thought about that, but I figured I should try to go by the book, if there is one.

I have 16" x 8.5 fronts and 17" x 10 rear wheels, and I think that the X-180R had 16's all around so maybe that wont even be exactly what I need. I was trying to get closer to the X-180 look and also the V8 size. I am planning on lowering the car a little also, so that may have an impact on the settings right?

I am a little worried that I will need to provide this information to the shop doing the work so they will set it to whatever I tell them, or will they know how to set it up?

Chuck

It's not the diameter of the wheels, it's the width that changes camber. Lowering the suspension will change the toe and camber too, so you will need to get it realigned. You have wheels that are as wide as V8 wheels, you probably want to look at V8 Camber settings, go towards the low end of the range for better wear, and towards the high end for better handling.

I personally like the slight toe-out in the front, it makes the car more reactive, and better on turn-in, but it also makes it follow ruts in the road more. Lotus originally had toe-in in the front of the SE's, which causes understeer.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album